Saturday, February 11, 2017

Assignment B5 - Group A - Ronald Herazo

B5 – Ronald Herazo

Relational Database

There are different types of databases that can be used for different purposes. Nowadays, statistician use two types of databases: flat and relational databases. A good definition of relational databases is a database that contains two or more related tables [2]. In order words, a relational database is a database that treats all its data as a collection of relations; they are usually manipulated a set at a time rather than a record at a time. This particular database is mainly based on relational model of data, and it was first proposed by Dr. Codd in 1970. Also, this specific relational model contains components, such as collection of objects or relations, set of operations to act on the relations, and data integrity for accuracy and consistency.

There are multiple software using relational databases. These software systems are known as a relational database management system (RDBMS). For instance, EcoLab is a Swedish Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) program that has been used mainly in the European industry. One of the main advantages of using this software is its relational database [4]. Therefore, Relational Database Management System is a software that can store and updates a relational database. Nowadays, RDBMS has the two-major software that allow the user to work efficiently (see Figure 1 and 2). Client Server RDMS is a server software that provides a middleware layer between client applications and database files. Additionally, Embedded RDMS is integrated application program where the data is typically stored in a single file.


Figure 1 -Client-Server RDBMS

Figure 2 - Embedded RDBMS

In relational database, entities are stored in tables in which each row of a table stores one record and each column of a table stores one attribute per record. Additionally, the primary key of a relation is an attribute or set of attributes that exclusively identifies a record [1]. Therefore, the relationships between entities can be represented in an Entity-Relationship (ER) diagrams with the purpose of showing attributes, keys, and relationships. In this diagram, primary key is underlined (see Figure 3).


Figure 3 - Entity-Relationship Diagrams

Relational databases have real world objects that need to be modeled in the database. These real-world objects are called entities. Within relational databases, entities can be related to other entities by three different relationships: one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-many. For instance, in a relational database, a one-to-one relationship exists when one row in a table may be linked with only one row in another table, and vice-versa [3]. Moreover, a one-to-many relationship occurs when one row in table X may be linked with many rows in table Y, but one row in table Y is linked to only one row in table X [1]. Finally, a many-to-many relationship is a relationship between two entities (X and Y).  For example, an author can have many journals, and a journal can have many authors (see Figure 4).


Figure 4 - Many-to-many relationships


Finally, the Structured Query Language (SQL) is used to manipulate relational databases. SQL has four different languages:

1.     Data Definition Language is typically used when a database is first created with the purpose of creating, modifying, and deleting database tables.
2.     Data Manipulation Control Language allows the user to inert, update and delete data from tables.
3.     Transaction Control Language allows the user to create transactions.
4.     Data Control Language is mainly used for setting permissions.

References

[1] Simpkins, Christopher. "Relational Databases." Relational Databases (1986): n. pag. Georgia Institute of Technology. Web. 11 Feb. 2017.

[2] Telvent. "Relational Database Performance." Relational Databases (1986): 339-59. ArcFMSolution. Web. 11 Feb. 2017.

[3] Veenstra, Peter. "Relational Database Management Systems." Relational Database Management Systems, Database Design, and GIS (2009): 3-20. University of Missouri Columbia. Web. 11 Feb. 2017.

[4] Andrae, A. S. G. Global Life Cycle Impact Assessments of Material Shifts: The Example of a Lead-free Electronics Industry. London: Springer, 2010. 59-62. Print.

Comments:

Egla,
Before this class, I had no clue about Structured Query Language (SQL). You really did a good job explaining SQL and the main commands that are used in this software. One thing I know is that the Structured Query Language (SQL) is used to manipulate relational databases. But, I did not have a chance to read more about it. However, I like when you highlighted on your post that “Learning SQL is important because it gives the user the power to access and interpret data, especially in the programming/developing sphere." As an engineer, I think this software is very important because it helps us to be better in our profession; like you mentioned “it gives the user the power to access and interpret data.”

Raggousis,
After reading your post, I have a strong idea of what Structured Query Language is and what are its most important aspects. Thanks for breaking this down; it was very easy to read it. I did use Access before and I think this software is very powerful. I also believe this system has no barriers and it allows people (with businesses) to develop their internal databases. It is impressive how much SQL can offer to this world. SQL is very important because they offer to every single company to have more productivity and organization; I believe this is what all companies want nowadays.  I like when you mentioned “SQL is important because without it, you lose productivity, efficiency, and organization;” you are correct!! I enjoyed reading your post.

Selden,
I liked the way you summarize databases in construction. It seems that databases are very useful to during and after construction. I believe that scheduling is the most important part of a new project. Not having a good visualization of what is going on with the project, contracts, delays, and errors, can affect the engineering firm in charged on the project. This is why I believe that putting all together can help during and after construction. I like when you mentioned that “The construction industry is one that has extensive amounts of information, which makes the creation and use of the database somewhat simpler.” It is obviously that databases are more than numbers, they provide a lot of efficiency and productivity; his is the main reason industries use them.


3 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job explaining the relational databases. You made it easy to understand the structure and how they relate. I would like to hear a little more about how these are actually used, as I am new to all of these programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very informational. Prior to this I had no knowledge on the Relational Databases. The images were especially informative. SQL sounds very interesting and I would particularly like to understand them better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After completing my post, I was very curious about SQL. Your break down of the four different languages was very helpful. I also really enjoyed your images, they helped in understanding the process.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.