Uses of databases in construction firms
A database is a structure set of data that is stored in a computer. The data can be used through a database management system, where the users can interact with the data stored. An example of a use of databases in construction would be to use them for keeping inventory of the warehouse. The old method was to fill out cards of what was brought in, and to fill out a card of what is being requested for a job site, at the end of the time-period specified by the firm, the stock was updated to show what was currently in the warehouse. Using a database can eliminate this need, and simply entering the information into the system will update the inventory list. Each item has a specific attribute and name, you can simply type into the computer to find out whether or not the item is available. [2]
Databases are also important for estimators in construction. Now that it has become easier to input the information into a database, it is the easiest and fastest way to keep track of the rates used by estimators. Rather than copying prices from one project to the current, which can become time consuming and tedious, it is possible for the estimator to pull the values from the database. You can simply key in the attribute code into a program and the value will populate itself. [1]
With the database being used in estimating, it is also easy to keep the material’s price up to date. Rather than making sure you are checking form the most recent project and then adjusting the price from there, the system updates itself when the correct package is chosen. The database also keeps track of labor costs for the amount of each task being assigned. [3]
Sources
[1] Moseley, T., AAIQS, ICECA. (2014, July 24). CONSTRUCTION DATABASES - Why use a database. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140724234418-100956650-coming-soon-construction-databases-why-use-a-database
[2] Organization and Use of Project Information. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2017, from http://pmbook.ce.cmu.edu/14_Organization_and_Use_of_Project_Information.html
[3] Merritt, A. (2007, December 03). Benefits of a Database-Driven Cost Estimating System. Retrieved February 13, 2017, from http://blog.softwareadvice.com/articles/construction/benefits-of-a-database-driven-estimating-system
Responses
Alexander Koo - I’m not sure I understand the difference between a regular database and a relational database. Is it just that relational databases have categories, and regular databases do not? I’d be interested to read more about that. Although I still find it interesting how useful databases can be and you don’t even realize they are being used if you don’t know about them.
Ronald, I think I understand the difference of a relational database and a regular database now. The visuals helped a lot, and I can see that when you choose one thing from one table, it brings you to the next based off of that, giving you all of the information. It’s actually very different than a regular database, and I think it could be more useful, although appears much more difficult to set up.
Ray Powell, I like that you compare the databases as being an easier way to view complex information, because that’s exactly what it is but I never thought of it that way. The way databases are used in construction is very similar to the way you describe designers using it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.