One of the advantages of having an OODBMS is the extensibility of the database. You can make new types of data from existing objects. This pretty much means that you can modify an exiting object to fit your needs without the need to create a new object from scratch. This would allow for faster development as there is more re-usability of the object and can allow for easier maintenance of the database. another advantage given in having an OODBMS is the handling of a much larger variety of data. Other databases such as network or relational doesn't expand on such capabilities whereas an ODBMS can include pictures, test, numbers, and other such data needed for the objects in use.
A disadvantage we can look into to see where OODBMS is currently is that there is a lack of experience. I can be a part of such a statistic as I honestly did not know what and object oriented database was until I was doing research on the subject. Even then, I still have not had actual experience with such a database and I am not sure what it would entail to know. The database itself seems to be leaning more towards better use by programmers rather than a beginning user trying to understand the system. Also, there are no standards set in place. This is usually set by whatever company or entity that is using the databases, but there is no universal standard set for all OODBMS.
Theses advantages and disadvantages were just some highlights. There is a lot more to know about these databases but that requires a deeper understanding of how these databases are integrated into the project it is needed for. I hope to be able to learn more in the future about this, and from the subjects of some of the topics in class that are upcoming, we may get just that.
References:
[1] Obasanjo, Dare. "AN EXPLORATION OF OBJECT ORIENTED DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS." Why Aren't You Using An Object Oriented Database Management System? N.p., 2001. Web. 12 Feb. 2017. <http://www.25hoursaday.com/whyarentyouusinganoodbms.html>.
[2] Rouse, Margaret, and Krishna Kumar. "What Is Object-oriented Database Management System (OODBMS or ODBMS)? - Definition from WhatIs.com." Object-oriented Database Management System (OODBMS or ODBMS). SearchOracle, n.d. Web. 12 Feb. 2017. <http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/definition/object-oriented-database-management-system>.
[3] Thakur, Dinesh. "What Is Object Oriented Database (OODB)? Advantages and Disadvantages of OODBMSS." What Is Object Oriented Database (OODB)? Advantages and Disadvantages of OODBMSS. Computer Notes, n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2017. <http://ecomputernotes.com/database-system/adv-database/object-oriented-database-oodb>.
Comments:
Andrew Ng (link) - I found it interesting to read about the way that SQL works, especially seeinghow you mentioned that it was given praise to by Facebook and Google. I have never had the experience of learning such programming languages. I like to see that it can ensure productivity, as with more competing markets there is a need for more projects or content to be produced. I would like to see if it could benefit us more in the design.consultant field or work as that is what I aim for working with after graduation.
Kerianne Volger (link) - After writing about my topic on OODBMSs, it was a good read on how such a database can be involved in a specific field of work. I do agree on how important it is for estimators in construction. Having the ease of access to such data along with easier updates on the information itself is very helpful. The database becomes a very handy resource and I hope to see one database that can be shared among many different companies that need such data.
Ronald Herazo (link) - It was good to read about another type of database other than the one I wrote about above. From reading yours, my understanding is that a relational database likes to work with data in tables. This allows for updating of data as a set rather than individually based data. The diagrams that you put in your post also help paint a better picture for me in understanding what exactly is involved in a relational database.
Comments:
Andrew Ng (link) - I found it interesting to read about the way that SQL works, especially seeinghow you mentioned that it was given praise to by Facebook and Google. I have never had the experience of learning such programming languages. I like to see that it can ensure productivity, as with more competing markets there is a need for more projects or content to be produced. I would like to see if it could benefit us more in the design.consultant field or work as that is what I aim for working with after graduation.
Kerianne Volger (link) - After writing about my topic on OODBMSs, it was a good read on how such a database can be involved in a specific field of work. I do agree on how important it is for estimators in construction. Having the ease of access to such data along with easier updates on the information itself is very helpful. The database becomes a very handy resource and I hope to see one database that can be shared among many different companies that need such data.
Ronald Herazo (link) - It was good to read about another type of database other than the one I wrote about above. From reading yours, my understanding is that a relational database likes to work with data in tables. This allows for updating of data as a set rather than individually based data. The diagrams that you put in your post also help paint a better picture for me in understanding what exactly is involved in a relational database.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.