Saturday, February 4, 2017

B4 - Term Project: Revit Family Database

Project Description & Why it was Chosen:

My project has two main goals: the first is to create a database in Microsoft Access that houses Revit family parameter data, and the second is to create a function in Revit to programmatically generate new families (.rfa files) from the information if the database.  The database would contain all families that exist in a current Revit model, and can be used to perform inventories and cost estimates.  It would store the parameter values of each family and type in a tabular format which could be edited and synced with the Revit file to update the existing families.  Additionally, new families and types would be able to be generated from the database by inputting family parameters into the appropriate rows and calling a corresponding function in the Revit model.  The function would serve as an automated version of Revit’s family creation tools which pulls family data from the database in order to construct new families. 

I chose this project for several reasons, the first being that it would allow me to practice some programming, which I enjoy but do not get enough of in my curriculum.  The second reason is that the final products, a database that can compile family data and a script that can generate Revit families, seemed to be very useful tools that I and others would be able to make use of beyond the scope of this class.  I also chose this project because it will force me to become familiar with Revit’s API, which I know will be a valuable skill when I enter the workforce. 

Relation to Intelligent Buildings:

                This project is a combination of two central themes of this course: databases and BIM.  As was discussed in class, the future of intelligent buildings will almost certainly involve automation, of both construction and design.  My project serves to automate a small portion of the design process, specifically the modelling and editing of families in Revit.  Editing and creating families in Revit is a tedious process, and reducing it to entering information into a few boxes would increase productivity substantially. 

Challenges:

Some of the groundwork for this project has been laid by others.  Information can be exported and exported between Revit and various external databases via the Revit DB Link plugin.  Function calls already exist within the Revit API and Revit Python Shell that can generate new families programmatically.  The challenges would lie in creating the database, figuring out how to export and import only pertinent information to and from the database, and formatting the script so that family parameter values are drawn from the database.

The estimated order of tasks is as follows:  
  1. Learn the basics of the Revit API
  2. Learn the basics of MS Access
  3. Learn how to export Revit Family data to MS Access
  4. Learn how to edit family data in MS Access
  5. Learn how to update existing families with altered parameters form database
  6. Learn how to create a family programmatically using random values
  7. Learn how to get information from outside Revit API in a script
  8. Integrate family generation script with database import script
  9. Learn how to perform computations for inventory and cost estimation in MS Access
Comments:

On Hayley Selden's post:
Hayley,  AI in homes is something I've been interested previously, and I've wondered what the home environment would look like 20 years or so in the future.  I'm eager to see what you come up with, specifically what aspects of the home environment should be optimized, what information should the AI provide to the resident and at what level of detail, and what choices the AI should be allowed to make for the resident.

On Drew Hovey's post:
Drew, the crossover between "Green" and "Intelligent" buildings is an interesting one that I have not considered much before.  We constantly hear in our classes, and in the media to an extent, about how the building industry is trending toward green building and that the future of the industry lies in intelligent buildings, but I haven't though much about how these two aspects match up.  Certainly the sensor and monitoring capabilities of intelligent buildings would further enable sustainable building design, construction, and operation, but to what extent?  I'm excited to read more about your topic as it develops.

On Maria Raggousis's post:
Maria, I think your and Rachel's approach to this topic is solid.  I think that segmenting the topic in to robotics in construction vs robotics in homes (or in operation) is the way to go since the applications are very different.  I too had trouble believing that robots would be able to take over many tasks is the construction industry, and still remain somewhat skeptical.  I am eager for your paper to potentially convince me otherwise!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.