Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Abdullatif Alkandari - B4 - Week4

Project description

For my term project, I will be looking into the world of robotics in more detail. By knowing how far Artificial intelligence has come and given the many fields in which robotics managed to revolutionize the industry. I will try to find the underlying reasons causing this technology to be behind in some fields that we wish robotics were more involved with. Thus, identifying the factors that cause AI to be so far ahead of its time in some fields as opposed to others.

why it was chosen

The reason why I am intrigued in this topic is that I believe that once we have a better understanding of what is impeding the progress of A.I. and robotics; we can find the right approach to deal with the issue. I expect this research to improve my problem-solving skills which I believe to be a crucial skill for any engineer to have. This mentality will help me reverse engineer the problems associated with robotics involvement in the construction industry in an effort to arrive at the aspects that need to be considered before any breakthroughs can be achieved.

Relation to Intelligent Buildings

In writing this paper, I will be addressing how these breakthroughs in A.I. as well as robotics can aid in intelligent buildings. This is due to the fact that I expect for my research findings to pinpoint the areas where these technologies can make the most impact in adding to the current construction industry. Even after these areas are defined, I will research how they can be enhanced to further maximize the efficiency of A.I. and robotics in construction sites as well as their roles in manufacturing building materials. As I proceed with this paper, I will be more specific in which fields of the industry will be the focus of my research and that decision will be based on the aspect that will result in the most positive influence to the construction industry.

Challenges

I expect many challenges to arise in proceeding with this research, especially given how behind A.I. and robotics are in the construction industry relative to the car manufacture and nanotechnology industry for example. This is why I expect that in order for noticeable changes to occur in this field, serious time, effort and capital would need to be invested for this cause. And the investors interested in funding such research will only be onboard if they can guarantee their money back through this investment which is a major financial challenge.

Comments:

Ng Andrew: I expect incorporating Virtual reality to be a major breakthrough for AI in the construction industry. It will not only make inspecting buildings more convenient and enjoyable, but also reduce the chance of error in the construction progress as one can physically see where the parts need to go. I am truly excited for your team’s project and I expect it to be a fun and educational experience for everyone involved.

Mridul Pareek: I found your topic really interesting, and I do agree that Wireless sensor technology is under-utilized once we take in to account its true potential. I expect the implementation of this technology to be a huge leap forward in intelligent buildings as it will facilitate building monitoring and maintenance and save a lot of time and effort. I’m truly glad to know that a team is covering this topic.


Andy Dinh: I think that comparing the two leading programs in digital design (Revit vs Bentley Architecture) to be educational. In designing the same building in both programs it will became clearer to you which tasks are wiser to be attempted in one program instead of the other. I hope that towards the end of your project, you will have a clear understanding of (Revit and Bentley Architecture) and the advantages that each of them has over the other. Also, it is a big plus to have both of them on your resumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.