Tuesday, February 7, 2017

B4 - Paulina Gawor - Project Description

Project Description

My term project will focus on how BIM and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) can be used to develop more sustainable projects. Construction generates the largest amount of waste, and represents the heaviest use of resources and energy compared to other industries. Using BIM and LCA, the communication, scheduling, and budgeting practices of a project can be greatly improved. A soft value like environmental impact can be more easily represented numerically through LCA, and shown to project stakeholders. The lifetime impact of a project can be assessed, from construction and operations to retrofit and eventual demolition.

One of the topics I hope to investigate is the interoperability of how LCA programs are used, and if they are adequately supported by Revit. So far it seems there is a great deal of transferring information between platforms. One workflow showed a transfer from Revit to IFC to Excel to Ecotect. Autodesk’s Green Building studio has been using a data transfer protocol called gbXML.

I am excited to learn more about implementing the use of a new type of software and workflow process in an office setting, as well as the specifics of model sharing in Revit. I believe just as many architectural and engineering firms have been transitioning to BIM design in the last five years, there will be greater demand for information about the energy use and value of building projects. I have not had the chance to work with this apart from basic use of classroom E-Quest projects, so it will be interesting to see what software and solutions in this field are currently in use. Performing the Revit families exercise in AE 510 has also helped me familiarize myself with family types and properties that are a major part of performing a building’s LCA.

References


Comments

Abdullatif Alkandari

Abdullatif, I would be curious to find out more about how you find robotics integrated into building construction and even operations. I can imagine a great deal of uses in prefabrication of larger scale elements for construction. You mention that finding investors for this type of research will be challenging. In this very old profession, I think the greatest barrier to implementation will be the human element--the existing construction and machining workforce and their unions.

Hayley Selden

Hayley, I also find the greater integration of sensors into building systems to be very interesting. Some friends I know use Nest and Phillips remote bulbs to monitor and adjust their home energy use. The concept of regular measurement, and even gamification of energy savings has great potential for raising public awareness of their personal carbon footprints and energy use. This is a great project and will focus on the intersection of intelligent and green design.

Yipin Geng

Yipin, I am also interested to see what type of uses you will be able to develop with Revit Macros. In the past I have run some very simple LISP scripts in AutoCAD that would sum total line lengths for me. I would be interested in developing a macro for an automated sprinkler head design layout. If your programming skill is not so high, it might be worth looking into Dynamo to develop your programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.