Sunday, February 5, 2017

B4 - Andy Dinh - Term Project

For this term in AE 410, my term project will be about the comparison between Revit and Bentley Architecture. I will be working with Ronald Park on this project. The purpose of this project is to compare the use of each of the two programs, along with being able to share projects between the two programs. To accomplish this task, we will be creating a two-story residential building with some furniture made as families along with other elements that usually go with a building like floors, a roof, windows, doors, walls, etc. To first start with this assignment, we have to familiarize ourselves with the two programs first. Recognition of what each program is capable of and what files they take for the specific program will be fairly important as to what our project will result in.

As with working with Revit in the past, and even for an assignment already for this class, there is already some familiarity for us with Revit. As for Bentley Architecture, I found that Architecture is an extension of Microstation, to which I have a little familiarity with it after using the program on my first co-op with Taylor, Wiseman, and Taylor. So, getting acquainted with the two programs should not be as difficult compared to if I was a new user with both programs. The problem I do see coming up that we will have to solve is to see how we can have the two programs cooperate each other, especially with file sharing. I have shared files between Microstation and AutoCAD before to do some work, but never with Revit and Microstation, so this will be very new to me and I look forward to what I can learn from this experience. We will be using some youtube tutorial videos to help us with this project. Some tutorial videos have already helped us in seeing how people complete tasks through their expertise and they make things a little more comprehensible rather than reading instructions from a book.


Once we have completed these tasks, our report should include what was done and how our experience was with both programs. I hope to see both programs being of use in their own ways. Our paper and presentation should include all of the experiences compiled together. Either one of the BIM programs can be easier to use than the other, or both can have their own advantages in which we are investigating for.

References:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A8A1C3167E4A4E6


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfMt5IThYdU


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEtQNnChG74

Comments:

Alexander Koo (link) - Virtual reality has certainly been on the fast track in recent years. With its recent rise in the gaming market, to now slowly being integrated into other services, it is exciting to see the development of such technology. I look forward to seeing what can be seen on how the technology is being developed for intelligent buildings. Being able to see 3D models live would be very cool to see.

Kerianne Vogler (link) - Lifecycles of buildings are very important, because not a lot of people who are outside of the business think about what else goes on after the building or structure is complete. They just see a building standing there and probably know some of the simpler things like air conditioning and what is holding the building up. I would like to see how much further BIM can go into getting the details of a building for more use in maintenance of it and hopefully being able to extend the life span of a structure.

Nick Pawlikowski (link) - I have never had experience in creating a database before. I know we are suppose to learn about creating a database during class, but it would be interesting to see how much more depth there is into creating a database. It would be cool to see how the database is integrated with Revit families, especially after our own Revit family assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Andy,

    You and Ronald are working on an interesting project comparing Revit vs. Bentley. I have recently used Revit for the first time and thought the software was amazing about design structures. Can wait to hear about what you find as differences in the software. Just curious, why did you choose Bentley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good project to see the capabilities of each program. Being new to both softwares, I am looking forward to your presentation and seeing what you an do with them. As I'm sure you have some experience with one or the other, I believe this will be a good opportunity to learn furthur each program and gain more experience and master them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.