Saturday, February 11, 2017

Databases in Construction Firms

The use of databases is growing quickly in all industries, especially the construction industry. It helps the to manage big amounts of data, predict risk, and solve problems quicker and easier. Being able to handle big amounts of data, for multiple projects, the companies are able to focus more on the actual project instead of technical issues. Using certain programs, companies can use the data to predict risks of certain models or designs in advance. This data also helps with problem solving and finding quicker solutions [1].
The use of databases in the construction industry also creates an organizational memory (OM), which makes it easy to go back and gather information from the past. From past projects, parts, or companies [2]. It makes it easier to personalize the information, as each project has unique details and parts. For now, contractors still have challenges in creating database systems which are easy for them to use and learn, which if they can accomplish, gives them a competitive advantage [2]. A lot of construction companies are using web-based databases, such as WEB-CONS, making them low cost, simple requirements, less technical problems, and easier use. As more projects are added to the system, its function improves. Security of the information however, is a risk since it is in the hands of a third party.
I think that as contractors begin to become more accustomed to using databases, and the programs. It will allow the construction industry to advance more, and as it becomes a commodity throughout companies, it will open more opportunities for development and sharing of knowledge if necessary.

RESOURCES:

COMMENTS:
Brandon Mengel: I’m really glad I read your post, I had never heard of SQL before. From what you described, SQL seems like it takes the data and picks out the most important aspects. Do you think, as AI is learning, that this is a form of it or could maybe develop into one in the future?

Ronald Herazo: I think you did a good job explaining the relational databases. You made it easy to understand the structure and how they relate. I would like to hear a little more about how these are actually used, as I am new to all of these programs.

Peter Dannemann: I like how you described object oriented databases.  As I am new to databases and to the programs we are using, it was easy to understand. Do you think that object oriented databases will have any important developments in the future that can help the database use?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.