Monday, February 6, 2017

B4 - Sanchez - Group E

AI and the Future of Construction
Why it was chosen, relation to Intelligent Buildings, & Challenges
For our term project, David and Aziz will be writing about AI and its present and future integration into the construction industry. We will be doing this by looking at different facets of within the industry such a BIM, physical manpower, and other areas in the field.
Why it was chosen
In the construction industry, AI has the potential to help re imagine how processes are done such as BIM. AI will identify true collisions versus false ones in BIM, for new building design as an example, AI will identify missing elements like waterproofing for specs for stadiums and help improve the design to a more comprehensive one.
AI knowledge can update itself whenever new data is introduced, creating a full daily report, schedule, project progresses and more to help engineers and designers. As many predict that this AI knowledge will be proactive and will be able to interact with both voice and visuals. Furthermore, a bigger step will enable robots using this knowledge to fetch tools and know where they are and how assemble them in the task given.
Relation to Intelligent Buildings
Artificial Intelligence will create the next industrial revolution as many experts are predicting. As AI architect and author George Zarkadakis once said "It's really important that we take AI seriously. It will lead to the fourth industrial revolution and will change the world in ways we cannot predict now". His mention of the "fourth industrial revolution" refers to the computerization of the manufacturing industry. The fourth industrial revolution is the vision of smart factories, where cyber-physical systems monitor physical processes, thus creating a virtual copy of the physical world and make decentralized decisions.
Challenges
Our greatest challenge will be finding factual information from reliable sources. Artificial intelligence in relatively new to the construction industry and because of this there isn’t a great wealth of information out there on everything we want to write about. A lot of information and websites I saw about information we need were written by independent bloggers so verifying this information credibility will be tough.
Additionally, a big challenge in the AI knowledge will be creating and obtaining the data of every detail in small or even mid-sized firms, it will cost tons of money and effort, I can easily be done by very big and recognizable companies now until the technology becomes easier to use by smaller companies in the industry.

Sources:
2-    https://www.aem.org/news/october-2016/how-artificial-intelligence-could-revolutionize-construction/

2 comments:

  1. I believe your topic is very similar to ours, as we are doing robotics in the construction industry, which involves artificial intelligence. I agree that finding credible sources will be tough, but the fact that these are so recent is supportive of the quick development and relevance to the industry today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your project sounds super interesting! I think that after seeing the brick laying robot in class we were all interested in how A.I. can be used in the construction industry. Your project is very similar to mine, except you are using A.I. in the design phase. I really like your George Zarkadakis quote, I think it really brings your whole purpose for your project together! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.