Virtual Reality on Jobsites
Project Description/Why It was Chosen:
Alexander Koo, Taryn Francischetti, and I chose to do our
project on Virtual Reality in the Construction Industry. With the upcoming
years, technological impact in most industries would make processes much more
convenient and “interesting”. Virtual Reality being one of the peculiar
advances has touched the surface of the construction industry and is starting
to be implemented. The reason we chose this topic is because of the great
amount of benefits. VR if set up on a construction site can enable contractors,
architects, engineers, etc., to overlay their design with existing features.
With proper orientation of survey “control points”, the device can detect the
space that the design should be built on and populate the visual representation
right on top of what is on the site. The huge convenience of having the design
seen as a virtual representation would increase construction efficiency by many
folds as the parties involved, in my opinion, should collaborate easier and
detect any flaws in design earlier in the process.
Relation to IB:
Intelligent Building involves an integrative approach in
construction. VR being “integrative” and “intelligent” (to be determined with
future improvements) follows the idea of Intelligent Building as it would involve
a new technology that may make the building process more efficient. VR would
allow for parties involved in construction to get the model, possibly from
BIM/Revit, and have it shown at the site the design is going to be built. By
seeing the design at the site, collaboration should increase. Walkthroughs of
the design at the site may allow for clients to understand and get the idea of
what is going to appear after construction. This will also allow for any
changes in design and reduce the amount of possible change orders, ultimately
saving money. By bringing the design to reality, or I should say a “virtual
reality”, the design process should become more efficient.
Challenges:
The virtual reality in construction is still only starting
to be implemented and has not become a standard practice. Finding research for
the paper, that may have to go up to 3500 words, may be a challenge. The
numbers to support how the technology works may have to be pulled from current
devices that aren’t used for construction and then explained in an
entrepreneurial approach. The approach may include an explanation on surveying
then research on detection/recognition programs. Once explaining how the VR
device can find the survey points, the idea of populating the visual representation
of the design on site will then be researched. Many flaws with the overlaying
of the model to existing features may occur.
References:
Comments:
Maisson Ksara – Intelligent buildings not being the same as
green buildings is an interesting concept. I would guess your research will
find a lot of LEED topics such as what specifies a platinum or gold
certification. You may find the LEED’s point system. One thing that could be
something interesting that LEED does is that: For some of their points
rewarded, the owner of the building can give money to build some green
infrastructure elsewhere, perhaps in a 100mile radius, if the green
infrastructure physically can’t be built on his/her site. Since the green
feature would be elsewhere but LEED may term the building green, it wouldn’t
technically be “green” but may be “intelligent”.
Egla Qori – Using Revit to model a structural frame for a
forty-story hotel sounds great. Using a school project to gain insight of an
application for your career is something good. It sorts of makes me jealous of
not thinking along the same lines. One thing I am wondering however is how the
shape of the building would be like. Would there be different elevations on the
site? Is the building a rectangular box or would it have some geometric complex
shape at the roof or along the side? I know framing would probably have a column
stacked rectangular grid, but with my lack of experience, I am curious if the
framing would change if some architectural feature demands it.
Andy Dinh – Comparing the use of Revit and Bentley
Architecture is something I wouldn’t know so I would like to read your paper
when it’s done. I have never used Bentley applications, and I unfortunately don’t
know what the interface even looks like. Sharing files between the two would
also go hand in hand with what we just researched with BIM limitations. If
there is a way, that’ll be cool. One thing I’m wondering though: Are the
programs similar? And if they are wouldn’t one program try to absorb the other?
Would people eventually gravitate to one program as opposed to the other as it
is more used? I know Revit is trying to be the “centerpiece” of the
construction process, and I don’t know anything about Bentley Architecture. As
a third party without much knowledge, if I were a designer and Revit were the
main program, I wouldn’t touch Bentley Architecture unless I had to.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.