Friday, February 3, 2017

Assignment B4 - Group A - Ronald Herazo

B4 - Ronald Herazo

Robotics Automating Construction Site Surveying

I will be working with Zhijing Zheng and Joseph Chaudhari in this project. Surveying is the technique and science of determining the terrestrial or three-dimensional position of points as well as the distance and angles between them. In this particular project, we want to focus on how robotics can be used in surveying, how this feature can be improved, and how important is having a well-engineered device in surveying. Back in time, surveyors had a difficult time trying to do topography in the woods and streets. Nowadays, surveyors have the privilege to use Trible S6 and Leica TS06 instruments. Both instruments have one-man mode, which allows the user to work alone and collect the data without having any issues. In addition, we will highly discuss all the features that new surveying instruments provide; this includes: 3D scanning, one-man set up, and reading coordinates from raw files.

This particular topic was selected because surveying is the first thing you need to do in every project. In other words, if you do not collect enough information from the site or if you do not have the adequate instruments, the company won’t be able to do anything with the data. Another thing that caught our attention was the 3D laser scanning instruments. I had the chance to see these instruments during my last CO-OP, and it is very interesting how they are capable to storage a huge amount of data. We also want to look deeper on these instruments in order to understand all their functionalities. I believe after investigating their functionalities, we can see what possible changes could be made in these instruments regarding their robotic performance.

The relation to intelligent building is more with 3D components. Three-dimensional laser scanning instruments can perform three-dimensional views of any structure. This includes internal and external components. Regarding internal components, the instruments can be manually set with coordinates and angles in order to perform a three-dimensional scan inside the building. Having three-dimensional plans, engineers can easily make changes in the design. On the other side, a three-dimensional laser scanning instrument can also be attached to a vehicle. This allows the surveyor to collect all the data around the building faster; drones can also be used in this particular case.

I believe the biggest challenge will be understanding the mathematics behind the surveying instrument. We really want to provide a good understanding of these surveying instruments and how robotics have improved surveying in the past 20 years. Also, we want to add some comments from surveyors that have been working in the field for decades. The purpose of having this information is to see how much surveying has improved in the last two decades.

3D scanning



Park,
I really want to see how this project ends up. It seems that Revit is not the only software capable of managing 3D structures. I would like to see how many families Bentley Architecture software accepts. Now, you make think about doing the opposite of what you are working on. I believe you can also create a model with Bentley Architecture, and transfer it to Revit, but do you think the result will still be the same? I know these two BIM platforms are totally different from each other, which makes me think about your possible results. I am looking forward to you presentation.

Mengel,
Creating families in Revit is not an easy task. There are a lot of things I want to know about families. I would recommend that you to spend a good time doing this project because as soon as you finish creating families in Revit, and get used to it, you will be able to create more of them even faster. I believe this will be an interesting project. I hope you do not spend a lot of time creating these families, but one thing I know for sure is that you will definitely finish faster than me. It took me a while creating one bookshelf and I would not imagine myself creating another family in Revit. Also, I wonder why did you decide on building a kitchen first? Good luck!!

Dannemann,
When I think about AI I think about Androids. Please, correct me if I am wrong! I really want to see your presentation. I don’t know how much time you are going to spend researching about this specific topic, but good luck with that. There are a lot of things that I want to know about artificial intelligence in construction. First, how will this affect our careers? I think artificial intelligence (Androids) will hurt us in the future plus they cannot think by themselves, you need someone, such as, an engineer, to set up their configuration. Secondly, do we really need AI in construction? I think civil/architecture engineers are the only engineers that get dirty when they are working outside. Also, the weather is not gorgeous every single day. Are they going to be able to walk through the site, take measurements and get wet? I am just curious about your project. I am looking forward to your presentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.