Paper Prompt - Explore the interaction between making a building “intelligent” and making it “Green.” Are they equivalent? Is it necessary to be “intelligent” to be “green”? Etc
Questions/Ideas we need to address in the paper
- Define what “Intelligent” Buildings are in terms of AI and what the future offers.
- Define what “Green” buildings are and how they are evolving throughout time
- Simply Compare and Contrast the two
- Do we think this will be the future of the construction industry? - answer the necessary question on is it necessary to be “intelligent” or “green”
- Focus on the interaction between disciplines to create an intelligent or green building
Thesis statement - Although there is a significant overlap between intelligent and green buildings, they are their own entity and serve a distinct purpose into advancing towards a more innovative construction industry.
Intelligent buildings ≠ Green buildings
Supporting Paragraphs/topic sentences
- Status quo/Intro
- Where the construction industry stands and where it is heading.
- The precedent of intelligent and green buildings
- Discuss/Define Intelligent Buildings
- Understanding Intelligent buildings and how they fit inside the construction industry in the present day and what the future could possibly offer through AI.
- Discuss/Define Green Buildings
- Understanding the evolution green buildings have gone through over the past decade and how they are being affected by intelligent buildings.
- Where they converge/diverge
- Pg 57 (CABA)
- Difference between retro-fitting a building and developing one from scratch
- Sustainability pros/cons between the two.
- Case section for each type of building
- Take a building that is exemplary for their intelligence’ and ‘green’ aspects
- Drawbacks
- Cost
- Union Labor
- Variability in design
- Bigger push for companies to participate in integrated design
- Learning curve
- Conclusion
- Where “the wrap up is gonna go down”
Work Cited/Key references
http://regencyhomesomaha.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-converting-your-home-into-a-smart-home/
https://www.uvm.edu/rsenr?Page=aiken/aiken.html
Personal Goals
Throughout this project, I want to be able to better understand what methods of how to design an intelligent building as well as learning what process one needs to go through to adequately label a building a 'smart' building and the same goes for a green building. Being able to understand these concepts will help me design impressive modern day buildings that will make me more valuable in the design industry. Better understanding each of these elements will allow me to bring new ideas to concept meetings during the integrated design period.
Personal Challenges
Some challenges that I will run into during this project is comparing and contrasting the two separate design concepts since to me they are two unrelated entities. The way I see it is intelligent and green buildings are the future of the construction industry and finding a way to intertwine each type of design method will be difficult since the industry is still learning on mastering one at a time. Being able to understand this concept could spring a new method of design in the industry and having a leg up here would make all the difference.
Peer Comments
Nick P - I found your project topic extremely interesting as I can see how it would be relevant to the industry. I don't find programming that interesting but I can see the usefulness in the industry for years to come. Like you, I am very interested in understanding more about databases and what there functions are inside today's industry as well as tomorrows. If I were you, the part that I would find the most troubling would be Learning how to create a family programmatically using random values. Good luck Nick!
Ronald P - I haven't had a lot of experience with Bentley so this project is extremely interesting to me. I watched one of the youtube videos you cited and I found that extremely useful in the scheme of your project. Your goal for this project is very clear and I think it will serve you well in the industry and will make you a versatile employee in the work force. Looking at your project from a bird's eye view, what do you think will be the most challenging part of this project for you?
Hayley S - Your topic is extremely interesting as it focuses around increasing the intelligent or smart aspect of a residential building. Like a lot of engineers, I plan on designing my own home someday with advanced technology as well so reading through your outline was very relevant to me. I also know how crucial sensors are to the new design ideas which engineers are incorporating inside of the homes they are designing. An example of this is possibly incorporating a master panel of the different levels of the building showing what lights are on and off. This will allow the owners to optimize there electricity output.
Hayley S - Your topic is extremely interesting as it focuses around increasing the intelligent or smart aspect of a residential building. Like a lot of engineers, I plan on designing my own home someday with advanced technology as well so reading through your outline was very relevant to me. I also know how crucial sensors are to the new design ideas which engineers are incorporating inside of the homes they are designing. An example of this is possibly incorporating a master panel of the different levels of the building showing what lights are on and off. This will allow the owners to optimize there electricity output.
Drew, the crossover between "Green" and "Intelligent" buildings is an interesting one that I have not considered much before. We constantly hear in our classes, and in the media to an extent, about how the building industry is trending toward green building and that the future of the industry lies in intelligent buildings, but I haven't though much about how these two aspects match up. Certainly the sensor and monitoring capabilities of intelligent buildings would further enable sustainable building design, construction, and operation, but to what extent? I'm excited to read more about your topic as it develops.
ReplyDelete