Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Samuel Kim: B4 – Individual projects


Our group, Joe Dressel and I decided to do the BIM for the term project. We want to integrate our work with the senior design project which is modeling a pilot plant in the Drexel campus for research purpose. By working with BIM application like Revit, I am able to explore structural components and details of the 3D model. Revit is the application that we will use for this term project because it is most advanced and widely used BIM application. For this week’s task, I am going to look into foundation design of the pilot plant using BIM application. Since Revit is the chosen application for our group and I am new to this software, I will exercise the Autodesk tutorial to improve my Revit drawing skill. To prepare to draw the foundation design in Revit, first I need to find the maximum dead and dynamic load of the building to determine foundation type. Then, I need to determine bearing capacity of soils to see if they are able to hold the foundation. After the thorough research and determining the foundation type, I will begin drawing the model in Revit.

Our project topic is directly related to BIM and intelligent design, because the project involves various components to finalize a water purifying system and the building that encases it. There are HVAC system, structural aspect of the project, electrical design, pilot plant equipment, foundation design and more for this project. Therefore, to graphically visualize the design and to collaborate with colleagues, utilization of BIM application is crucial. One challenge of our topic is that it includes very technical information in wide range, it can be difficult and time consuming to finalize the project.

 

Sources



 

Comments

Yosep Bak

Relating green building to Intelligent building is a brilliant idea. Environmental friendly buildings like LEED certified building will not only help protect the environment, it also consumes less energy therefore it is inexpensive to maintain.
 

Rachel Frank

Your project about robot technologies in construction industry is very interesting. I know that surveying drones in construction sites is one of the advanced recent technology. I would like to know more about other robot technologies that are currently being used. Also, knowing about how future robot technology will develop is very interesting as well. I look forward to hear from you more about your project.
 

Nameless - Revit/Bentley Architecture Comparison
https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/02/revitbentley-architecture-comparison.html

Your project is very similar to ours. Building a 3D model with BIM application can be difficult if you aren’t experienced enough. I think this is a great learning experience for your group and my group. I also would like to know the transferability of Revit data to the Bently Architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.