Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Sarah Maminski: Week 4 - Project

I will be completing this project on my own. My paper will discuss the use of artificial intelligence (A.I.) for inspection. This research shall be applied to buildings and bridges. Many buildings and bridges, especially in our area, are very historical. Historical buildings are beautiful and interesting in their design, but with so many old structures, there will be more and more inspection needed to keep the city safe. I would think there is more inspection needed than inspectors who have the experience to correctly inspect the structure. 

I choose this project to look into the future of my field. At my first coop I spent about a couple days per week out in the field inspecting buildings. From my current knowledge of A.I., the amount of time and money would be greatly saved if A.I. was used for inspection. Sometimes inspecting a building facade took multiple days; even small buildings took the entire day to inspect, document, and photograph. A.I. would be able to do all of that in way less time, which would save money. A.I. also would be able to identify the areas of concern. 

With the use of A.I., inspections will be very easy and quick, not to mention more accurate. In my experience, visual inspection is based off of the inspectors visual of the structure. This can lead to many mistakes in identifying the areas of concern or missing other areas. With A.I. there would be more accurate inspections and it would save the companies time and money. 

The only difficulty I can see occurring would be finding the necessary sources. I spent quite some time looking into sources this past week and there are some, but most sources about A.I. talk about it in a general sense, not in the specific content I will need. This will just take some extra time. Below are some useful sources I have found so far. 

Sources:

Response to David Sanchez: Your project sounds super interesting! I think that after seeing the brick laying robot in class we were all interested in how A.I. can be used in the construction industry. Your project is very similar to mine, except you are using A.I. in the design phase. I really like your George Zarkadakis quote, I think it really brings your whole purpose for your project together! Good luck!

Response to Arthur McCloskey: I think your project idea sounds amazing! What a great idea to connect you senior design project to this class project. The placement of the reinforcing having already been taken care of will be a huge help when producing your design drawings for your senior design project! Best of luck!

Response to Maissoun Ksara: Your project sounds really interesting! I think it would be great to see what the commonalities and differences are between green and intelligent buildings. Your idea to go through case studies of the many examples of green, intelligent, and green and intelligent buildings is a great way to show your audience what the similarities and differences are between the there options. Best of luck to you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.