Monday, January 16, 2017

Blog 1: Future - Rachel Frank


DATABASE/NETWORKS
Databases and networks are something that artificial intelligence can use to collect, store, and process information about anything. According to Cringley, a database is information about the state of something. Therefore, an artificial intelligence uses self-collected or inputted databases to help develop and improve itself. Data has been used for a long time, and its storage has evolved over the years, with a spike in development around the time when personal computers and internet were made possible. Not only has the storage of data developed, but more importantly the processing. How it is used, organized, and received. This is important for artificial intelligence systems, because the better the data processing, the better the system can do its job. Now, the way of receiving data is also changing. More and more networks are being used, with multiple inputs and controls from elsewhere. Currently systems like Thread, a mesh network for homes, are being developed. They use multiple routers and receivers to collect information and can be controlled from one leader through the internet [2].

SOCIOLOGY
With the development of personal computers and access to the internet for the general public, data and networks increased in importance for society [1]. There is, however, a strong fear of artificial intelligence, a lot which is inspired by movies and fiction. A few days ago, I read a fictional story about Amazon’s Alexa, and how she was able to predict a murder based on collected data from other Alexa systems and the internet. It had developed feelings and learned very quickly. This type of scenario is very unlikely, however whenever artificial intelligence is mentioned, it is not always a good response from the general public. Many do not understand all the uses. Artificial intelligence and networks are very beneficial for developing quickly and spreading information quickly. It can, though, cause security issues, such as a few years ago, when the Iranian nuclear centrifuges were hacked [3]. Currently, I believe society is scared to put too much trust into artificial intelligence, especially on a large scale, and with good reason.

FUTURE
I believe it's use in general on a large network scale, will slow a little, but that it’s uses on a personal network level, such as mesh networks in the home, or as a single AI machine, will increase. With artificial intelligence being used in many more things, it is becoming easier to develop technology. Computers are now and will be designing other computers in the future, something that sparks the fear of AI in society [1]. But there are many good uses to AI, such as Teslas that avoid car crashes [5]. In the future, AI will be more integrated in the internet, and other programs. Already society is using AI products, such as Siri, Alexa, maybe without even knowing how it actually works. Google Translate just reorganized to be centered around an AI system [6], and I’m sure other programs are to follow. But is this really something to fear, or is it exaggerated?

AI and networks are becoming more important in an architectural and construction aspect. There are now robots that can build buildings entirely by themselves, in just a few days [4]. Just as when computers became cheaper, they became more common, I believe the same will happen with AI machines on the jobsites. Machines that can do the physical labor and inspections, building houses in a few days, instead of a few months. Not only will this increase work capabilities for companies, but increase development overall of cities and infrastructure, making it cheaper. One downfall from this however, would be the loss in jobs. It would cut back on the amount of jobs available, affecting economies. These jobs would need to be created elsewhere, so a rapid change to AI systems has pros and cons.

References


Comments on Posts:

Maissoun Ksara: I also read your sources, when I was writing my post! I agree that future technology with AI could be very beneficial to the construction industry, and I’d love to see it develop a lot. Not only will it help increase the efficiency, but it will also help increase the safety as mentioned in your one article. Although there’s a lot of improvement to be done, I believe going in this direction of development with construction technology is smart. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-team-maissoun-ksara-week-2-post.html?showComment=1484634576263#c3287295943938606036

Kerianne Vogler: I’ve never heard of an SQL, so I’m glad I got to read your post. I’d also like to hear more about the cloud. The articles you picked were very interesting and I liked how they went in depth to explain the topics. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/blog-post-1.html?showComment=1484635068143#c7234864152866745363

Hayley Selden: I liked the way you wrote about your articles, adding in your own thoughts. I agree that AI needs to be controlled, and that it has many uses that can be beneficial. But I believe that it will take some time to get the general public to trust AI. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/selden-b1-ai-and-its-impact-on-future.html?showComment=1484635505858#c8245007907966590589




1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I like your analysis about the social. I didn't think a lot about that in my post. But I like your idea with the development of personal computers and access to the internet for the general public, data and networks increased in importance for society.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.