Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Current Advantages of BIM

The Current Advantages of BIM

The ultimate benefit of BIM is saving money and time for architects, designers, engineers, and contractors in diverse industries. The benefit could be broken down into 5 advantages.

1.      Capture Reality[1]
            With BIM, designers and engineers can easily capture the information of the project sites with better mapping tools. The aerial views and elevations of existing infrastructure and sites are better representations of the reality. It is very important to start a project with more precise information capturing methods.

2.     Auto-save[1]
            With BIM, designers would not worry about disastrous corruptions of files again. BIM has Autosave function. Every new work added to the project would be autosaved to the databases. This would significantly improve the productivity.

3.     Improve Collaboration[1]
            Designers, engineers, and contractors could easily share their ideas and designs with each other using BIM. The workflow is easily visualized and tracked by everyone during every phase of the project.

4.     Simulation and error-detection[1]
            Simulation could detect errors and test the performance of buildings and projects. I consider simulation as the most intelligent part of BIM, because it could analyze the projects’ performance and give feedbacks to designers with just one-click of button. This better illustrates the entire project to everyone who involves in the project.

5.     Worksheets and schedules[1]
            BIM could easily generate worksheets and schedules to present the detail of projects with specific descriptions of every small component including elements from structural system, MEP, and furniture.

BIM is not only rising in the United States, but also starts to be recognized and applied around the world. The success and benefits of BIM will be more tremendous in the future. [3]

Reference

Comments
Paulina Gawor
People need to learn BIM first in order to use it efficiently just like other new technology. I would not consider the learning process as a problem of BIM since we have to learn AutoCAD as well when we first use it. I agree with you that we need to standardize BIM models to reduce conflictions and improve the performance of BIM.

Kerianne Vogler
I agree with you that BIM beat other software in every single way. BIM is the future standard of diverse industries including construction, architecture, and transportation. I have used BIM, AutoCAD and SketchUP. I like BIM the most because it is the easiest and the most intelligent tool for me to create and present my models.

Brennan Connolly

It’s so lucky of you to hear about BIM so early in your life. BIM develops so fast nowadays and it will add even more functionality in the future. I like your idea about self-detection of errors. The idea of intelligent building would be fully explained if BIM obtains the auto-detect and auto-fix functions.





1 comment:

  1. Ziyang,

    Great post about the the current advantages of BIM in the building industry. One feature of BIM that I didn't know about before reading your post is that BIM has an auto-save feature. That is great because if BIM crashes or something goes wrongs you will lose everything. I agree with all the points you make in your post. What do you think will be new features of BIM in the feature?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.