Monday, January 30, 2017

Alsaleem B3 - GroupC Future advantages of Revit

What are the possible future advantages of Revit/BIM?

One huge possible future advantage of BIM and Revit is improving the collaboration with models, simplifying many functions to enable several users to adjust on a complex project models and manage combination with other members and editors all at once.

Another predicted possible future advantage is an increase of simulation tools that would allow for designers to visualize sunlight during different times of the year throughout different seasons which will help calculate building energy performances.
Codes are predicted to also be introduced strongly in Revit and BIM. Several government departments, fire departments and other officials may use these programs to introduce the codes, and an option or icon of reviewing codes on models building projects can see if the building violates any codes and suggest some solution.

Cost estimating features will also be built in BIM software estimating. Costs of materials chosen for the building, interior and exterior. Material quantities are automatically obtained and updated when any changes are made in the model creating a table with details, where material is used in addition to its price and cost, that will help designers reduce costs on point and come up with more solutions.

Finally, because building information models are created to scale in 3D space, all major systems can be instantly and automatically checked for interferences with other material. As an example, this tool can help verify that piping does not intersect with steel beams, ducts, or walls and if does it will show a warning to the user and create solutions to adjust and overcome the problem.


Sources:


Responses to peers:
Kerianne Vogler: I used all three programs you referred too and I agree with most differences between them that you pointed out. I also agree that Revit is easier than Sketchup. I faced a problem using Sketchup that it did not generate a list of properties designed and Revit as you mentioned automatically did that.

David Sanchez: Your post was well written and very straight forward with great points of comparison between Revit and AutoCAD and SolidWorks. I never used SolidWorks so I cannot talk from my point of view about that, but AutoCAD I used a lot and I can agree that it lacks the use of 3D modeling and that’s a big point in favor of Revit. I enjoyed your post and benefited from it.


Zhijing Zheng: I read your post about the issues in Revit nowadays and how it causes some difficulties in the way of designers and engineers. Out of the 4 problems you pointed out I estimated that 2 of them will be fixed and added as future tools in Revit, that gives me an idea that it is probably obvious for the Software team that engineers and designers want and need these tools so hopefully they are already working on them.  

1 comment:

  1. Aziz,

    Great post about the possible future advances of BIM. I thought it was specially interesting that you mentioned the idea of sunlight integrated into the software. I can see how this would be great in the design of builds. For example, while at the Drexel Rec Center there is a certain window that will blind you at a certain time because there is no blind.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.