Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Week 2 Blog Post - Drew Hovey

Chapter 2 - BIM Tools and Parametric Modeling


Parametric modeling has been used by companies to aid the design, engineering and manufacturing to create models to help describe the future.These models are frequently presented to clients to help provide a clear picture of what their product will hopefully become. In example, Computation Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is used to produce multiple aerodynamic performances of various airflow simulations (Page 33). There is actually a course being offered at Drexel called AE561 that teaches how to perform airflow simulations calculations. The tools inside BIM are used to enhance the usability and create a more diverse pallet to produce more creative projects. Figure 1 shows an example of a complete CFD airflow simulation model as the red zones shows areas of infiltration.
7.jpg
Figure 1 - Example of a CFD airflow simulation


The way that this is applicable by companies is creating parametric modeling to define how their specific object needs to be designed and structured. Let’s use the John Deere example where they send design-for-manufacturing (DFM) rules to their assembly plants where a company then produces can create many variations to the product. This is frequently used in larger manufacturing companies where there is a mass production order needing to be put together and shipped out (Page 34). Figure 2 lists out different advantages of creating and utilizing a BIM model.
benefitsofbimenabledmodel.jpg
Figure 2 - Advantages BIM modeling yields


Open Questions


Are There Inherent Differences in Construction, Fabrication, and Architectural BIM Design Tools? (Page 53)


The base technology that runs these different versions of BIM design are essentially identical. This means that there isn’t a reason why software companies shouldn’t be able to integrate the different BIM tools to create multiple versions of a software. An example where we deal with companies already making a step in this direction is Revit Structures. Revit has a a software for Architecture, Structure, and MEP which interconnect with each other so engineering disciplines are able to effectively coordinate together. By creating different versions of a software that covers the complete design of a building allows the company to sell its product as a package deal. (Page 54)


Work Cited


Eastman, C.M. (2008). BIM handbook: a guide to building information modeling for owners, managers, designers, engineers, and contractors. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.






Peer Comments 

Chris S - I like how you explained the various softwares that you have been subject to and there different usage in the industry. I enjoyed how you laid out and then immediately discussed the three different levels of interoperability, it was extremely clear and concise. I agree with you and I touched on it in my article that the different softwares must be able to interact with each other, thus increasing the overall experience of the user. I also agree with you around the fact that with the increasing knowledge in BIM technology, the interoperability must grow alongside as they are intertwined.

Maria R - I really enjoy the layout of your blog post! It was easy to read and take in different information. I learned a lot about the importance of the translation of data throughout your post and why its vital for the industry to keep improving databases. Personally, I have very little knowledge about why there are several different data representations, so your post really helped me gather a basis of knowledge about the topic. Do you think it's possible for files to be intertwined with just one identity? In example have a .PDF be compatible with every single data converter.

Brandon M - I found your post extremely helpful as you described how several different types of engineers work together and how must be able to cohesively merge together if the project is to be completed. Do you think different companies share there methods with each other to create an overall growth of BIM or would they keep it to themselves to make the specific company more efficient? I think if different design firms don't already reach out to competitors and try to lift there standards when dealing with BIM or databases the industry would benefit greatly. At my last co-op there was a position created for someone since the company saw value in hiring a person to be the "BIM Manager" and I think that would be a great position to create throughout the field. 

3 comments:

  1. Your chapter in the book is interesting in that it explains what BIM is and the different uses for it - mine explained the file sharing and data storage so I was confused what other types of data might be stored but after reading your summary regarding parametric modeling, I understand that there is much much more to these models than just a shape file that I was mostly used to from my co-op. I think utilizing these simulations is very important to get ideas of energy costs since we are so focused on sustainability (as we should be). I wonder if they can be or already are integrated with the codes so that the systems can be checked that way in an operational point of view. I feel like a lot of buildings claim energy consumption is down while they are being designed but I want to see buildings that are actually operated that way with the data to show it. I think that is where BIM can go in the immediate future. (Sorry if that was a tangent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew - I really enjoyed your CFD example. It provided a great explanation on how parametric modeling is used in a way that any AE 410/510 would understand. Parametric modeling is a brilliant tool for design as it allows the designer to change the parameters within the project on the fly and see how the environment reacts with the changes. These models provide the users with a lot more information than models with fixed values would and should be an indispensable tool for any modern architect or construction engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drew, I think your CFD example explains the concept of parametric modeling well. In general i think that parametric modelling is a great method of quickly iterating on a design to discover the best option. Your mention of the different branches of Revit (Architecture, Structure, and MEP) relate to the interoperability chapter of the BIM handbook that I read. I think that breaking up the Revit software into different sectors allows for the workflows that are specific to a particular sector to be performed with efficiency, and because each branch of Revit is based on common entities, the different sectors can by synced and compared with relative ease.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.