- You can import pictures, attachments, etc. into most of the programs
- Revit has a higher level of detail than other drafting programs
- Stemming from the families option that stores data and creates schedules, etc.
- Easier integration of disciplines
- Feasible in other programs, but not as easy
- Revit can export to a scheduling and estimating program more directly - again due to the level of detail
- Revit requires a more capable computer, as in most computers can run programs such as sketchup, but not all can handle ones more complex like revit
I wanted to build on this by more directly comparing the two main programs mentioned in this post - CAD and SketchUp.
Revit vs AutoCAD
One thing I noticed on Autodesk's website is that when it refers to Revit it says "modeling" and for CAD they use "drafting", and I think that summarizes it pretty well. Revit has more than just lines on a page, it has actual components and families like we've been talking about in class. CAD was a great first step for online drafting capabilities, but Revit has evolved to fill in some of the gaps like automatic schedules, updating of all correlated fields when changes are made, etc. But these extra capabilities are reflected in the price. One thing I did find interesting however, to touch on the computer needs for these programs, is that CAD is supported by Macs and Revit isn't.Revit vs SketchUp
Here we have two modeling programs, but I almost feel like this isn't an entirely fair comparison. Yes, they are both capable of generating 3D models, but where Revit creates a building with individual components, SketchUp creates shapes out of smaller shapes. They are also both capable of importing components, although Revit adds more detail here by maintaining the data on these components for schedules and SketchUp simply adds a bike rack, couch, etc. However, because SketchUp is just a compilation of shapes, it allows for more variability in what the user can create - you could make a dragon storming a castle if you wanted too. Although less of a professional option, it still counts.Comments:
Drew - I like that you included potential legal drawbacks to the future of BIM, I wouldn't have thought of that. As you mention taking legal responsibility for any inaccuracies is tough when there are so many hands on one model. I think this issue will just push the industry further into the use of IPD and design-build methods. Having all hands under the same firm will at the very least assign responsibility to one place if not one person.Maria - I completely agree with you about the loading time for many of these programs. We had a computer at work (only 2-3 years old) that would constantly crash when using CAD, and also would not auto save properly. Even with the newest, fastest processors, working within large files is time consuming regardless. I think the fault there is the program might be evolving faster than the devices it runs on.
Prahlad - That's really convenient that you can literally compare CAD and Revit side by side, and I'm surprised there aren't more correlations. Being able to use the cloud for easy access to documents is a plus though. I haven't used it myself, but I don't think it has the ability to have multiple people collaborating at the same time. Bluebeam has a function that allows full collaboration on one PDF, and I think it would be interesting if CAD could develop something like that (undoubtedly making it even slower I'm sure).
Sources:
[1] http://www.autodesk.com/solutions/revit-vs-autocad[2] https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/group-e-in-class-discussion.html
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.