Sunday, January 29, 2017

Assignment B3 - Group A - Ronald Herazo

B3 - Ronald Herazo

Future Possible Problem with Revit/Bim

The Building Information Modeling can be treated as advanced evolution of Computer-Aided Design. Also, Building Information Modeling, sometimes referred to as Building Information Management is the use of virtual building information models building design solutions, design documentation, and to analyze construction processes [1]. Nowadays, BIM software is used by individuals, businesses, and government agencies who pan design, construct, operate and maintain diverse physical infrastructures.

The implementation of BIM technology will contribute to larger construction industry efficiencies through increased collaboration between different project participants, less collisions and repeat work on corrections and adjustments. Based on a survey made by the American Institute of Architects, in the past decade building information modeling technology experienced a 160 percent increase in use by the mainstream architectural community [4]. See Figure 1. Also, they highlighted that more than 75 percent of responding architects reported very heavy or heavy use of BIM technology in their projects back in 2009. Even though BIM is such as great tool for engineers and architects, it requires more than the adoption of its technology [3]. The evolution of BIM technology could bring problems. The main future possible problems with BIM can be described as follows:

  • ·       Owners: cost, time, quality, problem elimination, minimum computer requirements, files.
  • ·    Architects, contractors, subcontractors: new and untested risk (in the firm), requires new procedures and learning.
  • ·       Lawyers and bank: legal and standard of practice, costs, time, quality, problem elimination.




       Figure 1 - Virtual Design and Construction

The implementation of BIM will require training, reeducation and rethinking of certain issues. The impact of BIM however does not essentially mean a drastic overhaul of the industry. Computer Aided Design has long been tough at universities and trade school, but 3D drawings are still converted to paper blueprints for the construction site [1]. The implementation of an all-encompassing BIM system might see this change in the future, and digital blueprints could become common on the construction site. Can you imagine yourself grabbing a digital blueprint?

The implementation of BIM technology in projects could be very helpful. But, one of the problems that BIM is facing now and I do believe it will, is high cost. The biggest problem that future business organization can arise, is the high cost of BIM implementation. As mentioned, computers need to be upgraded, meeting the minimum requirements. However, the initial costs of upgrading equipment and technologies is not the problem. Instead the other less tangible expenses matter. In other words, the implementation of BIM is not completed just with improving all the equipment. But, all elements of business operations from compliance operations to vendor component specification should be streamlines and integrated into one single system [2]. Additionally, different levels of training are high required with the purpose of manipulating the software. On the other hand, if for any reason the in-house project manager does not have the required skill to manage the new software, the organization is forced to hire a special BIM manager, which automatically increases the cost again.

References

[1] CSQ. "BIM for the Construction Industry." BIM Handbook (n.d.): 207-42. How Will BIM Impact Future Construction Industry Skills, Capabilities and Workforce Profile? 7 Aug. 2014. Web. 29 Jan. 2017.

[2] "The Future of Theory." Indiana Theory Review 10 (1989): 65-107. Web. 29 Jan. 2017.

[3] Mar 1, 2010 Beck Ireland | Electrical Construction and Maintenance. "Growing Pains." Problems with Building Information Modeling (BIM). N.p., 1 May 2010. Web. 29 Jan. 2017.

[4] Mathews, M. "BIM: Postgraduate Multidisciplinary Collaborative Education." Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Design, Construction and Operations (2015): n. pag. 2014. Web. 29 Jan. 2017.

Dannemann,
After reading your post, I believe that BIM will be very powerful. I have almost one year of survey experience and you post really got my attention. I have done different types of survey jobs and I totally agree with your post. When you mentioned that “using a drone would make the data collection process quick, easy, accurate and cheap, and would not require many people to be involved in the process.” For instance, surveying the woods is very hard, especially during summer when you have all the trees blocking the instruments. You can use the robotic gun, but sometimes is useless. On the other hand, I do believe that having the ability to test structural strength with BIM will be a huge help for everyone. Now, do we need to install sensors in the structure? if so, what types of sensor?


Sager,
I totally agree with you Sager. I believe that Revit does and will require powerful computers. Students might have difficulties to have Revit in their own computers because many of them are not too powerful. Do we really need to think about upgrading our laptops every two years? It seems that BIM technology requires a lot of power. For instance, I have a 2013 laptop (Dell) and when I installed Revit 2017, it was running too slow. I do not know the reason of having this problem, but I can conclude that you will need to upgrade your laptop every 3 years. Also, I like when you mentioned that “it’s much easier for a professional in the field to use language from a previous contract that they know worked for them.”  But the way, I loved your meme!!

Koo,
I also talked about his particular topic and I think we will be facing a lot of problems in the future. This topic seems to be very interesting, there are a lot of things that I never thought about. You went kind of deep in the legal aspect, which I think you really did a good job breaking this down. Also, you provided good examples that made me things more about these problems. Also, you brought an important point in your post “as the BIM technology continues to evolve, the degree of implementation from all the parties involve will increase, and that might ownership issues.” I do believe that good things will come this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.