There
is no doubt that BIM has transformed the engineering and construction industry
in a very effective way. BIM introduced efficient methods for planning and
designing structures of any size. BIM can also be worked throughout
the lifecycle of an entire portfolio of amenities. As any system and new
technology, the BIM technology has its pros and cons especially on the owners
and facility managers.
The biggest advantages of BIM use for owners and facility
managers are:
Enhanced
planning and design: By
using the BIM technology, facility managers have the ability
to visualise the resulted building and study all its components. This
allows them to adjust specifics, add few details before any field work even
starts!
Efficient
use of Energy: BIM
can help facilitate to analyse and compare various energy
alternatives to help facility managers reduce environmental impacts and
operating costs. By analysing the costs and the savings of various
facility improvements, facility managers gain a tool to optimize building
performance over the life of the building.
Streamlined Maintenance and
Fewer Reworks: The
information about building equipment stored in BIM models can eliminate hours
of effort to accurately manage maintenance systems. BIM allows
managers to see potential problem areas and fix them before the error is
committed physically on the construction field. This reduces the need of costly
work and revision.
However, the cons of BIM use for owners and facility managers are:
Inconsistency with partners: BIM is not yet
universally used among professionals in the field. There is always the
possibility that one of the partners or subcontractors may face difficulties
using the BIM technology.
Cost of software: BIM
software requires large investments in new technology. The advantages usually
make the investment worthwhile, but only if the software is used to its full
capacity. Not every manager will take the risk on running on the technologies,
especially the smaller companies.
Lack of experts in the field: The relative newness of BIM means that there are
limited numbers of experts working in the field. The software purchase may
require an additional investment in training and education. Having the system
without the professionals is just a waste of money.
https://fmsystems.com/blog/the-benefits-of-lifecycle-bim-for-facility-management/
https://www.constructionmonitor.com/blog/2015/12/03/pros-cons-of-using-a-bim-model-for-your-next-project/
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118382811.html
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/software/article/BIM-who-what-how-and-why-Facilities-Management-Software-Feature--7546
Figure: http://www.areadevelopment.com/AssetManagement/Q2-2013/building-information-modeling-facility-management-0272892.shtml
Figure: http://www.areadevelopment.com/AssetManagement/Q2-2013/building-information-modeling-facility-management-0272892.shtml
Responses:
Ronald Herazo: I enjoyed how you wrote much in depth about the 3D modelling explaining it all from the beginning. It was nice to learn the history of how engineers started to specify the shapes in these softwares identifying the elements and defining them as angles, attachments and etc.
Hayley Selden: It was interesting reading your blog and how there is different use of BIM software between owners and contractors. I like how you explained all the ways of BIM implements and how contractors can benefit from. I knew about managers of facilities from the readings, but also I expanded my knowledge after reading yours learning from more aspects in the field.
Drew Hovey: you explained a very interesting tool, the parametric modelling, to design and easy way for construction. As I read the blogs I learned that there are many tools that can be used and every tool or software has its benefits and cons. I also benefited from the example of John Deere that you mentioned, but if I can ask. Do you think that sending design-for-manufcaturing will be expanded to even small companies, or is it going to vanish with all these new tools and people can rely on their creativities to produce various products?
Hayley Selden: It was interesting reading your blog and how there is different use of BIM software between owners and contractors. I like how you explained all the ways of BIM implements and how contractors can benefit from. I knew about managers of facilities from the readings, but also I expanded my knowledge after reading yours learning from more aspects in the field.
Drew Hovey: you explained a very interesting tool, the parametric modelling, to design and easy way for construction. As I read the blogs I learned that there are many tools that can be used and every tool or software has its benefits and cons. I also benefited from the example of John Deere that you mentioned, but if I can ask. Do you think that sending design-for-manufcaturing will be expanded to even small companies, or is it going to vanish with all these new tools and people can rely on their creativities to produce various products?

You discussed and very correctly pointed out the pros and cons of the software with regards to the owners and managers. I liked the way you incorporated the fact that the software helps show in detail the energy usage etc to the owners/managers as they would be extremely interested in how their building is functioning and where they can reduce/cut costs. On the other hand the lack of experts point I was not fully on board with as even though there is a lack, this shouldn’t stop the availability of it being easily accessible for the owners
ReplyDelete