Chapter 3 - Interoperability
Source: C. Eastman, BIM handbook, 1st ed. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley, 2008, pp. 65-92.
Brief Summary & Overview:
This chapter in regards to BIM software was explaining the purpose, needs, types, and limitations of "interoperability" of software. In particular, file formats and the way that data is stored and translated from one software to the other so that the original content is retained. We are all familiar with these things even if we have only been exposed to PDF files of JPEG files - technically these are ways of storing data and viewing them across multiple computers and software platforms.
In this industry it is extremely important that we can share the files and electronic data that we have from the Architect to all of the Engineering Departments - structural analysis - HVAC analysis - plumbing analysis - etc. The Chapter refers to many forms of this translation of data - the ones I was most familiar with due to my experiences on co-op are DXF (Data eXchange Format) and the GIS systems of SHP (Shapefile) and SHX (Machine Code version of Shapefile). My understanding of these file formats is that you take the file in one software and export and package it as this file, send it over somewhere else, then that software decodes the items inside and basically has a set of spatial points and visual graphic data that you can then work from so you are not doing the files from scratch.
The chapter goes on to indicate various types of ways that we use this interoperability - private & public - and specific scenarios of what warrants what and details on how the process is done and who (groups & agencies) is interested in the furtherance of these file exchange formats and what the fture might be for this after 2007.
Further Explanations:
I just wanted to look in to and point out a few more details that the authors bring up, a system that I was not familiar with: IFC (Industry Foundation Classes). I wanted to find additional information beyond what is presented in the text because I did not understand what it is, what purpose it serves, and how to use it.
From the AutoDesk Revit Forum:
IFC is an open and neutral file format maintained by buildingSMART. It is ISO certified which means it meets international standards and is considered a standard interoperability system. Files in one system can be saved and exported in to the IFC file format (.ifc, .ifcXML, .ifcZIP) and then imported and "translated" into the next system, whether that is for an analysis program use or to send to a different company with different software.
We are familiar with Revit's library of things (walls, property definitions, thickness, height, attributes) and that is the type of information that an IFC stores so information, time, and quality can be preserved in all stages of a project.
Additional Thoughts & Comments:
Wrapping up this blog post - this Chapter is a little bit out dated - in 10 years a lot can happen in the BIM world and has in the computer world. AutoCAD, Revit, Bentley, and GIS Software have gained traction so much that non engineers are utilizing them for their everyday projects. Interoperability in this day and age is crucial and it will continue to get better. Talking with the industry professionals during my co-op interviews - they have seen Revit in the industry for the whole time that it was there and the compatibility that they have seen between the software has really multiplied lately. Maybe in our lifetimes the systems will become seamless and all systems will be able to read each other or maybe I am just dreaming.
Comments for Other Students:
Peter Dannemann - Chapter 4: I wanted to read your post so that I could learn more about Chapter 4 which comes right after what I was reading on compatibility of files between BIM software and methods. It brings up a great point about its accessibility and use as a tool for everyone, not just the designer. How can we expect other people to understand what they are paying for or spending on their energy or how structurally deficient something is without showing it to them - they can keep inventory on all things related to their buildings - no matter what kind of position, company, or personal scenario that gives way to using BIM tools.
Drew Hovey - Chapter 2: Your chapter in the book is interesting in that it explains what BIM is and the different uses for it - mine explained the file sharing and data storage so I was confused what other types of data might be stored but after reading your summary regarding parametric modeling, I understand that there is much much more to these models than just a shape file that I was mostly used to from my co-op. I think utilizing these simulations is very important to get ideas of energy costs since we are so focused on sustainability (as we should be). I wonder if they can be or already are integrated with the codes so that the systems can be checked that way in an operational point of view. I feel like a lot of buildings claim energy consumption is down while they are being designed but I want to see buildings that are actually operated that way with the data to show it. I think that is where BIM can go in the immediate future. (Sorry if that was a tangent).
Nick Pawlikowski - Chapter 3: I like that even though we read the same chapter, our takeaways are different. I think the proprietary programs do have a place in this industry because it cannot all be open source translators - specific companies need to have their own controls to do these translations and interoperability to what they might want to import in their own programs. I unfortunately don't see the future of XML based review but maybe for specific aspects of this industry it is possible to expand on that. I completely agree with you that management of these files is going to be the most challenging part in the next couple of years.
Maria - Your comment about the omnipresence of AutoCAD, Revit, and ARCGis really resonated with me. A lot has really changed in the industry since this book was written, and if someone is proficient in these forms of software they can get a job at pretty much any company. Interoperability plays a key role in maintaining the effectiveness of the use of this software and ensures that the work that one person has done is compatible with what others are working on. Without interoperability a lot more time would be spent trying to link together many people's work, but with advances in technology everything can be instantly imported and overlaid.
ReplyDelete