Student blog entries for the course "Intelligent Buildings" at Drexel University's College of Engineering.
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
B1 Database and Network in Future Construction Work
Before the reading of the materials, the database and network in my mind are the support tool and the foundation to develop the future automation work for not only construction work but also every industry. Database will be a storage dictionary to help the system designer analysis the information about the system. Network will be a layer to help the system to transfer the information.
My first reading about the database is Cringey's thinking about the big data. In his article, he believes that the big data transform the world. Also, he brief describes the database development history. Thousands year before, because people wanted to record their religion data, they tried to writing and drawing. Once people had knowledge and writing, it was in our nature to seek ways to hide these data from others. This led to codes and cyphers and to statistical techniques for breaking them. A 9th centuries Abu Yusuf al-Kindi, wrote A Manuscript on Deciphering Cryptographic Messages, marking the beginning of statistics — the finding of meaning in data — and of cryptanalysis or code-breaking.In 19th century, instead of only storage data, IBM created the way to process the data to help people improve their system. Later, Oracle created the relational model to use the database in the productive system.[1] From the database development history, I find that people developed the database because they really need it. For the future construction work, I believe that the database will be very helpful. In my coop experience, when we did the building energy simulation, we always need lots of data to do the analysis, like the weather historical data, soil data and the materials data. The database is helping the construction work, it will be more useful in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yang,
ReplyDeleteGreat write up about databases and network. I liked how you linked the information in the article to the construction industry. Not a lot of other people did that in their blog post. I agree with you that databases and networks are going to become key in the construction industry in planning, construction, and maintenance of building. I one of my co-ops in the real estate redevelopment and I could see the use of databases and networks in the entire process. What do you think of the sociology of this?
Sanchez,
DeleteThank you so much for your reply. I believe that in the future work, the sociology part, the programmer will own more power and other worker need to learn more knowledge about system design and code knowledge.