Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sarah Maminski - A Team - B2 Blog Post

All aspect of building design have been made simpler with Building Information Modeling (BIM). Architects, engineers, and constructions workers can benefit from BIM. The first BIM platforms originated in the 1960's and 70's [1]. At first BIM was in two platforms; B-rep, which stored operations and arguments, and CSG, which stored algebraic information about shape [1]. Bridging those two platforms is what makes BIM what it is today. BIM is a faster, less expensive, more accurate way to design and build structures.

Throughout chapter 2, the BIM handbook discusses the BIM design tools and parametric modeling. I found it interesting that BIM uses families in their software. This is like a network connecting similar objects in the design. So if you change one wall, all the other walls in that family change simultaneously [1]. This is particularly useful when working with large buildings. In other programs it could take extra time to change each individual wall and if you miss one or two then the building will not be built accurately. The way these objects fit together is defined by the parameters of the software. Parametric modeling is the drafting of the future in my opinion.

At my previous coop we worked with CAD, which is not primarily object based modeling. However, my office used a set of pre-drawn objects that the could pick and place on drawings such as different anchors or beam sizes, all of which were customizable. I even helped them draft up a few new ones. It was much easier and faster to draw this way. Then whenever the code would change or the architect would change his or her mind, a simple edit was all that was needed to correct the draft.

Revit is one of the up and coming BIM tools in the engineering world. More and more employers are asking about my Revit experience than they did just a few years ago. According to the author Revit contains components for architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, environmental, and facilities management [1]. This not only makes things easier, but it streamlines all aspects of a building to one program and one standard instead of having multiple different file types to open on multiple different programs. Although Revit is a very powerful tool, it is still on the newer side and has its bugs. Revit, like any drafting program, tends to get slow when the files require large storage; also Revit does not have the capability to draw complex surfaces [1]. However I think that as Revit gains more supporters in the field, those bugs can be fixed and Revit will be the leading program for our industry. Revit is not the only BIM tool used today, but from experience and after reading this article I believe that BIM tools will be the design program of the future.

References:
[1] Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R., & Liston, K. (2008). BIM Handbook. Pages 65-91. Hoboken,       NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Retrieved January 24, 2017.

Comments:
Nick Pawlikwski: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I think that the connections between programs is something we don't really think about in a school setting. The communication between the engineer, the architect, and the contractor is essential to get the job done, but that is very difficult when programs do not carry over well. I know I had many issues with this over coop when dealign with clients. I think you gave a great description about how each program interacts with the others. POST: https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/nick-pawlikowski-interoperability.html

Ronaldo Herazo: I found your post to be very interesting and informative. In my chapter I also read about how long ago BIM was created, but it did not go into much detail. I was interested to read about the use of 3D modeling in movies and games back in the 60's. I am very interested to read more into that topic and see the history behind BIM. Thanks for the interesting read!
POST: https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/assignment-b2-group-ronald-herazo.html

Peter Dannemann: Your post made an excellent point about the powers of BIM software. Having the ability to get more information about your design while it is still in the design phase is so important to engineers of the world today. With the ability of BIM to give the designer information about risk management and economic analysis the use of BIM is almost necessary for all projects in my mind. To be abel to have the information and make better decisions about a design would save time and lives.
POST: https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/01/b2-group-c-peter-dannemann.html

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    You did a great job of explaining BIM and the uses of it in the construction industry. I like how you talked about both pros and cons of using BIM and how it actual works. I too had a similar co-op experience as you and came away feeling the same about the ease of using such a system. Moving forward how do you thing BIM is going to change for you field you researched?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.