Monday, January 30, 2017

B3: Revit vs. Other Softwares - Sanchez - Group E

Revit vs. other CAD software
To begin this post, I have to admit that I have never used Revit before and have no knowledge of the software. As a business and engineering major, I have taken MEM 201 - Introduction to Computer Aided Design, which we used AutoCAD and Creo Parameter. I addition, I did take CAEE 202 - Introduction to Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, use to be CAEE 201, but they removed the Revit lab from the curriculum so I did not have the opportunity to use this software before this class. In our previous class, we had a brief discussion on how Revit relates to other drafting software. I decided to look at the differences between Revit vs. AutoCAD and Revit vs. AutoCAD.


Revit vs. AutoCAD
A quick comparison of Revit vs. SolidWorks will give you many similarities and differences:
  • User base - Revit is mainly used by structural developers and designers while AutoCAD is used mainly by any 2D/3D designer or drafter.
  • Scope & Discipline - Revit is mainly used by people in architecture and construction while AutoCAD is used for general designing and drafting (civil, mechanical, and architecture).
  • Main use - Revit is mainly used for 2D sketching and 3D design and rendering while AutoCAD is mainly used for 2D design and documentation.
  • Learning Curve - Revit is rated as average while AutoCAD is rated as low


Revit vs. SolidWorks
A quick comparison of Revit vs. SolidWorks will give you many similarities and differences:
  • User base - Revit is used by architects, engineers, and designers but SolidWorks is used by engineers and designers.
  • Collaboration Features - In Revit users are able to 2D to 3D CAD conversion, 3D printing but in SolidWorks users are unable to use this feature.
  • In Revit users are unable to perform advanced surfacing features that users are allowed to use in SolidWorks.
  • A similarity in the two software's is that users can do 2D and 3D drawings, parametric modeling, and photorealistic renderings are available in both.


Sources:
http://cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/24-130/SolidWorks-vs-Revit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.