What are the possible future advantages of Revit/BIM?
When considering the possible future advantages of BIM, there are almost as many as the imagination can come up with. One of the more realistic ones, and one where we are already seeing BIM trend is towards building management. Once construction is completed, the owner is able to utilize the BIM files to more efficiently maintain the building.
It is also easy to see that as BIM becomes more popular, entire sets of building plans may be generated from BIM models. This makes sense due to how easy it is to make a sheet from a model. Schedules can easily be pulled from the model and also put into the sheets. Where this may develop even further is the reduction or elimination of paper plans from the job site. For example, I know from first hand experience, one of the companies that I worked for, all of the field engineers and superintendents were issued iPads. This enabled them to look at any drawing at any time anywhere in the field.
Another way I can see BIM being leveraged in the future is on the construction side. Since the entire building, including MEP and architectural finishes will be created in the model, this model could then be used to find a way to pre-assemble parts of the building off site. This would be done similar to pre-fab buildings, but could be done on a larger scale.
Sources:
http://blog.synchroltd.com/bim-where-is-it-headed
http://archinect.com/firms/release/67343028/why-bim-revit-are-the-future-of-digital-building-construction-industry/149960572
Comments:
Ziyang Lin: It becomes clearer what the future applications of BIM could be when looking at the current advantages of BIM. As you said in your point number 5, BIM already can create sheets and plans. Extrapolating this to the future use, it appears to mesh with my prediction that entire sets of plans could be genereated from a BIM model.
Paulina Gawor: I can certainly agree with the learning curve being a disadvantage for BIM. I have never used Revit before this class, and I definitely needed the video tutorials. I think it should be noted that for all of the disadvantages BIM has, I believe that they pale in comparison to the benefits and BIM will be used more and more in the future.
Andrew Ng: As with Paulina, I believe the benefits of BIM outweigh the disadvantages. However, it is good to know the limitations of the software. Also like Paulina, you pointed out one of the current problems is the lack of electrical support in the BIM software that needs to be addressed.
It is also easy to see that as BIM becomes more popular, entire sets of building plans may be generated from BIM models. This makes sense due to how easy it is to make a sheet from a model. Schedules can easily be pulled from the model and also put into the sheets. Where this may develop even further is the reduction or elimination of paper plans from the job site. For example, I know from first hand experience, one of the companies that I worked for, all of the field engineers and superintendents were issued iPads. This enabled them to look at any drawing at any time anywhere in the field.
Another way I can see BIM being leveraged in the future is on the construction side. Since the entire building, including MEP and architectural finishes will be created in the model, this model could then be used to find a way to pre-assemble parts of the building off site. This would be done similar to pre-fab buildings, but could be done on a larger scale.
Sources:
http://blog.synchroltd.com/bim-where-is-it-headed
http://archinect.com/firms/release/67343028/why-bim-revit-are-the-future-of-digital-building-construction-industry/149960572
Comments:
Ziyang Lin: It becomes clearer what the future applications of BIM could be when looking at the current advantages of BIM. As you said in your point number 5, BIM already can create sheets and plans. Extrapolating this to the future use, it appears to mesh with my prediction that entire sets of plans could be genereated from a BIM model.
Paulina Gawor: I can certainly agree with the learning curve being a disadvantage for BIM. I have never used Revit before this class, and I definitely needed the video tutorials. I think it should be noted that for all of the disadvantages BIM has, I believe that they pale in comparison to the benefits and BIM will be used more and more in the future.
Andrew Ng: As with Paulina, I believe the benefits of BIM outweigh the disadvantages. However, it is good to know the limitations of the software. Also like Paulina, you pointed out one of the current problems is the lack of electrical support in the BIM software that needs to be addressed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.