Saturday, March 11, 2017

Singh, Prahlad - Reflection

This course was one of the few interesting courses that explored the current state and the future of the industry in a very “futuristic” way.  It combined the various new technologies and ones that could possibly be witnessed by our generation in the future. I would have preferred the class to be split into 2 classes of 1.5 hours each as they did end up becoming pretty tiring. On originally signing up for the class I was expecting it to be more BIM and Revit oriented. Through the various assignments and blog posts I learned a lot over the short 10-week class.
The Weekly blog posts allowed for in depth research into specific topics while also brushing up in general topics other classmates read up on. This was extremely educational as there were many topics I had not even heard about. It also provided for a few different views on each topic due to each group working on it individually. Each classmates’ personal experience helped she da new light on their topics. On the other hand, the projects were in depth projects of two important aspects of Intelligent Buildings (BIM and Database’s). Being fairly new to databases, I was still like learning new aspects about what goes into them and how they are used in the industry. It showed the capabilities of databases and how big corporations use them to achieve greater efficiency. The guest lecturers also helped highlight certain software’s and how they are used and to what affect within their firms. They also spoke about the changes the industry is undergoing and what we as future employees can and should expect in a couple of years.
The class had a huge impact on me personally. I hope to, in the future, take back all that I have learned in this course and help in the installation of some new “Intelligent buildings” back home in India. I am sure that I will be using software’s such as Revit and Access to help provide and efficient and “Smart” building. Overall, I learnt a lot from this class, be it within the classroom or during my research for the various assignments.

Comments to others
Abdulaziz: Even I thought that this was going to be more of a designing course at first. I am also of the same mind as in I share your idea of travelling back home to further integrate myself with “Intelligent Buildings” as they are the future.
Abdullatif: I too like the Whiting-Turner presentation and the way they spoke about BIM and modelling in regards to construction management. I also find it very interesting that you incorporated this class into your senior design project. I hope to do the same and incorporate what I learnt into my other classes.

Maissoun: I like how you related your personal goals to your final project. You are right that green building are not necessarily intelligent buildings and vice versa. I look forward to reading your paper of the differences between Intelligent and Green buildings. I agree with you on how this class was both creative and technical at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.