Monday, March 13, 2017

Alexander Koo - B7 Course Reflection

AE510: Intelligent Building is a very expansive term and could mean a lot of things. Therefore, I did not know what to expect from this class at first. The first class went through all the coursework and topics involved and that already, explained a lot about the class itself. The class involved a lot of research, writing post, critical thinking and computer skills. I have to say I was a bit skeptical about the purpose of the class in the first place. However, my mind changed throughout the following weeks.

The topics introduced throughout the weeks were very interesting and mind opening. For examples, the BIM tools and concepts topic required you to think critically about aspects that are often overlooked by most people. I really enjoyed learning about all the different technologies and different aspects such as the use of robotics and their future forecast of the technology evolution. The structure of the class make the student think critically about components and aspects of many programs, industries and concepts. The student also had to analyse the pattern of the topic throughout the years and determine the future possibilities and limitations to come. My computer skills were also refined throughout this quarter due to the different assignments and advanced knowledge gained through the intensive research. The weekly blog post encourage the student to think more deeply and more in details about a certain topic. It enabled the student to learn about the other students’ topics and their point of view on the subject. It was also beneficial in the way that they kept the process of thinking throughout the quarter constant.

After a couple of classes, I knew this class would definitely help me in my profession. My major being both Architectural Engineering and Civil Engineering, the topics this class covered were extremely interesting and eye opening. Group work, which is an essential aspect of engineering, was very present throughout the course. It enabled the student to share their ideas and understand the other points of view. The guests speakers also helped a lot in understanding and visualising the different topics. They provided a perspective of what that specific industry is like. The final project was particularly interesting since it allowed the student to research and write about something he is truly passionate about. Being able to understand all those concepts enabled me to think about the my future role in the industry. The industry is so broad, it is hard to situate yourself in that huge mechanism. Therefore, understanding the different components helps you visualise and understand better the gears. This course required the student to learn and actually use those skills whether it consisted in writing what you learned or using those skills in an actual computer programs. I really enjoyed that course and I truly believed it will proved beneficial to my future profession.

Comments:
Ronald Herazo: I agree with your view of the class. I, too, just had a very general idea of how sensors work. Dr. Mitchell tackled the topics appropriately and made the class entertaining throughout the quarter. He also always took our comments and opinions into consideration. The Revit project was very interesting, due to the fact that it is so closely related to our major. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/b7-group-ronald-herazo.html

Taryn Francischetti: My favourite aspect of the class was also the guests speakers since it really gave us an insight in the specified industry. I agree that the class is mostly self-taught since it is up to the student to make the most out of this class. The fact that there was also a lot of interaction with the other students was also essential since group work is an essential component of any project. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/taryn-francischetti-b7-course-reflection.html

Paulina Gawor: It is true that the course required going through a lot of information and data but as you mentioned, it really enabled us to the breadth and depth of the industry and how big it is. I also enjoyed learning about the sensor and how they could be implemented into a relational database. I also agree that this class was more based on theoretical and research information but I really enjoyed that aspect. https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/paulina-gawor-b7-course-reflection.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.