Tuesday, March 7, 2017

B7 - Abdullatif Alkandari

Course Reflection

When I first signed up for “Intelligent Building” I expected it to be a course that specifically deals with the smart methods construction and operation of buildings. However, the course proved to be much more diverse than that and turned out to touch on numerous aspects of technology that is implemented in the construction industry. And I truly enjoyed the opportunity that the course gave me to research different topics and share my findings with other classmates via the course blog as well as the chance to pick the topic for my term project; which makes the course experience feel more personal.

Affects on my Professional Career
Aside from the numerous applications of Artificial Intelligence that were covered in class, the assignments that we had working with Revit and MS Access have really opened my eyes to the future career possibilities. And by working with these software I now have a better idea of how they can make a construction manager’s job much easier because that is the aspect that I am interested in the most. The knowledge of databases and how much they facilitate data entry and retrieval is a skill that I expect to benefit from along the course of my career.

Conclusion

This course has made me even more eager about the future especially with the many intriguing guest speakers that shared their career stories with us and gave us an idea of how exciting life can be after graduation. I was personally really inspired by Kristen & Derek’s presentation about Whiting-Turner and that made me more serious about chasing a career in construction management. And I have recently decided to take care of the 3D modeling of my senior design group using Revit because I expect this software to be very important for my career and I am glad that this course mad me realize that as well as the potential of different software that can make my life much easier once I fully understand them.

1 comment:

  1. I too like the Whiting-Turner presentation and the way they spoke about BIM and modelling in regards to construction management. I also find it very interesting that you incorporated this class into your senior design project. I hope to do the same and incorporate what I learnt into my other classes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.