In reflection to this course, I would have to say my favorite
assignment was my personal project. In this project i got to extensively
work in Revit and have the freedom to do whatever i wanted. My least
favorite assignment was between the blog on the database or the database in
itself. Databases do not spark any interest in me but learning about them
was definitely worthwhile. I feel that maybe if i had a more open mind or
had the opportunity to create more databases to get the hang of them they
wouldn't be so bad. I do realize the usefulness and necessity of them so
the project in itself was a good learning point. I think my favorite
lecture was during week 4, about the future of AI. The video that was
shown really hit me on a deep level when it asked the question about what will
happen when we do develop real AI that can think for itself. Really made
me question the future as to will I even have a job in 30 years or will a
computer do that. I know amazon already developed a clerkless grocery store
and people like waiters can easily be replaced by tablets, what's next?
Then the reference of how we take what we want from animals because they
do not understand us and we think of ourselves as the superior life form may be
exactly how an android would think of us... I know the plot of every movie
involving AI like terminator, transcendence, ex machina, etc. is that they take
over but I never really realized the possibility of this actually happening.
Probably sounds really over dramatic but definitely a plausible outcome
and in my opinion the most likely outcome, hopefully none of this is really
that close.
After taking this
course I really believe BIM will take over the industry for the best. There
are so many advancements and improvements to come and because of this I really
believe that my choice career in architecture and structural design is a very
promising career path. Also in relation to what i said previously about
AI taking jobs, having a design job will probably be one of the last things AI
will ever take over as I feel creating creative AI systems would be the last
stage of their development. BIM in combination with 3D printing will also
become very big. 3D printing was also an interesting concept and can
definitely see this machinery taking over the industry in the future. I
had no idea of its current developments and the fact that they're already 3D
printing concrete and structural steel shows a lot assurance in its place with
the future construction industry.
Responses:
Alkandari
I too thought the class was going to be on different subject then it was. From the name i was thinking we were going to learn about very tech savvy buildings that we're either designed to be extremely energy efficient and of sustainable design or building that use a variety of sensors to accommodate the occupants' needs. I agree with you on the importance of data tables used in the construction management aspect of construction. I previously had a co op with a construction management team who could have used numerous upgrades to their system. For a management company they seemed very unorganized.
AlSaleem
One of the things I really didn't remember while writing my response was the guest speakers. Not sure how they skipped my mind because i honestly think they were the best part of the lectures(no offense Prof. Mitchell). They came in and shared tons of new and relevant real world experiences. And i agree that they were very effective in explaining to us the different job opportunities and where the possibilities in this career path are going. One of the things that bugs me about college is the difference in the real world from school. School is so theoretical and in my opinion somewhat wasteful based on the bs classes we have to take because i don't really remember many of the things we "learned".
Sanchez
Sounds like you have a very interesting career ahead of you. The owners side of real estate and development is something that i would possibly like to get into. But you are right BIM is absolutely a great knowledge to have in the general construction industry. For you things like navis works and the just the presentation aspect of intelligent models are a great tool to use in development. I also agree with you on that reading other responses was interesting and im very interested to hear about people's final projects.
Brandon, my favorite part of this course was also the personal project. I agree with you that the freedom given to pursue the project was beneficial, and for me it allowed me to take a deep dive into one particular subject and gain a significant amount of useful knowledge. I also agree that BIM will most likely be the main driver of change in the AEC industry. I also think that 3D printing will be used more in the industry, but I am skeptical that it will be as game-changing as some predict. I am of the opinion that the majority of 3D printing will be reserved for constructing smaller, non-structural elements.
ReplyDelete