Sunday, March 5, 2017

B7 - Sanchez - Group E

Introduction:
Last October, I was selecting courses for my last term at Drexel University. Being a business and engineering major, I was given a short list of courses to choose from. All of the courses on the list were electrical, mechanical, chemical, and civil engineering courses. None of the courses interested me or I had taken that course already. I wanted to select a course that is going to help me moving forward in my career in real estate and construction. While researching for through the college of engineering course catalog for winter term, I discovered the course, read the description, and registered for the course. During the course, I have learned a lot about the use of technology in this industry such as BIM, sensors, databases, and AI.


Effect on My Profession Career and Future:
As stated above, after graduation I will be working in real estate redevelopment as a project manager on the owner's side. I know that the company I will be working for use BIM extensively to the management of projects from all aspects. Learning about and understanding the benefits of BIM will give me a leg up on learning how to use it went I beginning working for them after graduation. In addition, I know our company recently started to use BIM heavily and there is opposition to transitioning over. As discussed in class, helping with that transition by showing the benefits to my co-workers will help with that transition.  


In Conclusion:
In this course, I learned a lot more than I thought about technology in this industry. I had no idea about the extensive use of BIM, database, sensors, and AI in the construction industry. My favorite part of this class was the projects and discussion board post we completed. From the discussion board post, I enjoyed hearing what other students had to say about the information we were learning in class. Next, the Revit and Microsoft Access assignment helped me connect topics discussed in class that I only understood in theory into practical information I could understand. I hope in the future I can take the information learned in this class and apply it practical to my career or create organizational change by leading my company into a more technological environment.

1 comment:

  1. I also learned a lot more than I expected during this class. When reading the course description, considering I had no experience with digital buildings, I expected it to be focused on revit and digital designing programs. But I found I was completely wrong, and have enjoyed this class even more than I expected.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.