Monday, March 13, 2017

B7 - Course Reflection

Through the course of this class, I have really grown in my knowledge of the industry. As a civil engineering major, I have not had much experience in building information modeling or databases. Through the assignments of this class, lectures, and guest speakers; I have been able to learn about BIM and databases as well as run through exercises to have experience in these areas. This class has given me experience and understanding in many programs I have not previously looked into; Revit and Microsoft Access. The second half of this course helped me learn all kinda of tasks that will be marketable and helpful in my future career. 

The first half of this term has affected me more than I thought possible at the beginning of this term. We discussed the many advances in technology that I was completely unaware of. I had no idea that they have brick laying robots, complicated robot competitions, car driving robots, and many many more. The industry is changing and therefore so must the college grads coming into the firm.


This class has taught me what the industry might look like when I graduate and start my early career. Engineering companies are moving towards more technologically advanced projects. For example, a company I interviewed for in Philadelphia said they have been doing small place inspections with drones. Engineers have in my opinion been a little behind the times. I am very excited to be coming into the field in such a changing time. This course has changed the way I look at the engineering field. Before this class I hadn’t thought about intelligent building and how much it is changing recently. This class has taught me to look into the future of this industry and make decisions about my career based off of how my company will grow with the changes. 

Comments:
Maria Raggousis: I agree with you that this course was very different from our usual courses. It was a creative and discussion based course that really was a great change of pace. I also really agreed with you that we have learned how to communicate effectively about Revit. I agree with you that we are getting involved in a great time for this industry.
https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/assignment-b7-group-b-maria-raggousis.html

Chris Sager: I agree with you that the final project had an amazing set up! Being able to basically research anything we are curious about was very helpful. I think having an open ended final project allowed us to really dive into what we really desired to learn about. 
https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/course-reflection-chris-sager.html

Drew Hovey: I agree that the database process was my least favorite at the beginning, but my favorite by the end. It left me with a lot of curiosity about the power of databases and how I can use them in my future career. I also agree that the blog posts were a huge part of this course. Being able to research something and then discuss it with our peers is so enjoyable and helpful to learn from each other. 
https://ae-410-510-ay16-17.blogspot.com/2017/03/b7-blog-post-hovey.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.