Sunday, March 12, 2017

Ng Andrew - B7: AE510 Reflection


B7 - Final Blog - Reflection

Intelligent Buildings, AE 510, was a thought-provoking class in that it introduced me to what I thought to be “futuristic” concepts. At first when hearing Professor Mitchell speak about robotics and machinery I never heard about or seen in detail, I was skeptical. These machines, I thought, would only be possible in maybe another 50-100 years when technology has advanced to a state where it was possible. Perhaps, when we have flying cars and androids that can replicate human functions realistically is when I believe what I heard in the first couple of classes. I remember stating my disbelief and “doubt” in one of the first classes and having Mitchell sort of chuckle at my disbelief. I was somewhat ready to fight for my statements with supporting arguments, but in the back of my mind, something was telling me that I may be wrong. Thoughts of the future technologies resounded in my mind. Subconsciously, I really do hope these thoughts of the future would come into existence. As a kid, I truly wanted to see a futuristic world like in the sci-fi movies such as I, Robot in my lifetime. Through learning in AE 510 classes about what technologies exist and their implementation, I changed my mind and came to start believing in what I didn’t thought was possible. I felt like a kid again in a way wanting to believe in something that was wasn’t “real” since it wasn’t in front of me (like Santa Claus). I now realized through the classes that the future that I thought wouldn’t come into existence until later is coming sooner than I thought. In a way, “The Future Is Now,” and I became excited.

This course has an effect in my profession as the technologies that were discussed can be very beneficial to me and the industry I’m entering. By learning about BIM and robotic implementation in the construction field before they become popular, I feel that I can have the competitive advantage amongst other college graduates and younger professionals. There’s a chance that I may be able to see an opportunity to do some operation more efficiently because I have more familiarization with the “new ideas.” Additionally, as we discussed videos shown and were exposed to numerous speakers, I saw how the technology is currently being used. In the future with more advancements and research, I’m sure these technologies would have greater uses; they would do much more than they do now and provide more information that may be helpful. BIM would be relevant in my future as I’m sure I would be using Revit in the design of structural and MEP functions of a building. Revit being the convergence place for all parties involved in the construction place would be something I’ll be working on. While it would provide me with a model that I can show to my clients, I would have everything right in front of me from almost all if not all construction phases. With databases, I can organize my information and find architectural, structural, electrical, mechanical or any other components much faster by instantly searching them up. Of course, the components would have to be registered and recorded first into the database, but once it is, the benefits from having a database would be great. One more peculiar aspect of the class was learning about Revit families. I did not know the concept of families before this class. Setting parameters and families allow for much simplifier methods of making modifications of some object in a broader perspective instead of specific values.

Overall, this course has revealed a lot about the technologies that are used and will be implemented in more depth. It was very interesting and was enjoyable.

Comments:

Maissoun Ksara – The organization of the course and how you liked it was very nicely summarized. I liked how you also enjoyed the Revit project. I learned a lot about Revit as I did not even know about the concept of “families”. By working with the bookshelf and the simple house, I have become somewhat more adept in using the program.

Ronald Herazo – The MS Access project was fun. I never used the program before the class and figuring out how to input information, organize, and relate information was a great experience. I know that it would be helpful in numerous applications, but I’m not sure if it’s for me. I will probably touch MS Access once again in the future, and when I do, I will now be able to make a basic database. At least now I know the fundamentals and even its existence. I have grown up seeing MS Access installed on computers, but always neglected the program.


Taryn Francischetti – Having guest speakers was very beneficial. It added a sense of credibility to the topics discussed. By having real professionals who use BIM and robotics and other programs discuss what they do in their careers was very intriguing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.