Course Reflection
Personally, I really enjoyed this course as it allowed me to not only think about what the industry consists of, but also where it is going. I learned about the role AI has in design as well as the influence BIM has on the industry in today’s world. Prior to this course, I had zero idea about the role databases play in the design and overall functionality buildings have in today’s world. I am currently leaving the class with an interest in databases as I was previously against having anything to do with them due to not particularly enjoying MATLAB. However, being able to go into a lunch and learn being delivered by a programming company and understand what they are pitching to you can be extremely valuable. In previous coops, lunch and learns have really just been about the free meal, but progressing in my education has led me to understand that there is always an opportunity to learn or contribute in every scenario.
One of my favorite presentations this term was about NavisWorks and the processing power it contains. I have never used it on coop but I knew of it due to conversations I have had with my peers, but learning more about it in depth is extremely informative. Personally, I’m not excited for the progression robotics has in the design industry due to the amount of jobs it could possibly take from thousands of skilled workers across the country. Bill Gates recently came out to say that if robots are taking our jobs, they should also pay taxes.
I really enjoyed the final project as we were allowed to choose the topic and our group partners. This influenced us to find a partner we work well with and do a project that allowed us to focus on what we found most applicable to what we wanted to do in the future. By doing so, I’m more informed on the differences between green and intelligent buildings as well as where they cross over.
All in all, the best part of this class was completing and commenting on our peers blog posts. This allowed us to educate ourselves and classmates on a particular subject. Ultimately, this course put me in a position to look forward into what is next, instead of what’s currently happening in the industry as having this kind of mindset will take you places where dreams can come true!
Nick P - I also had a preconceived idea that this course was going to be about how to analyze case studies. This course covered a much wider spectrum than I had anticipated and I was extremely happy about that fact! I also agree that the greatest take away I can say from this course is the knowledge of databases that I'm leaving with. As I discussed in my blog post, I didn't know anything about databases and only the role they play in buildings. Now I am able to speak the lingo and know what I need when I go to a software engineer looking to design a database.
Maria R - I found the Revit part of this course necessary but not an extremely interesting part as it covered essentials in the industry and not particularly the innovated role it plays. Revit allows multiple disciplines to come together on the same model to create a building that doesn't exist in the real world yet. The power of putting a representation in a three dimensional software can be looked over in today's world as it has become common or part of 'the process' of completing the design process. However, thinking about the past and how engineers used to convey their ideas to clients is a mystery to today's young innovative individuals.
Brandon M - By being in your AE 391 design group, I have had the luxury of seeing your final project first hand and I loved it! While I think about each of my coops, I haven't used Revit in the facet that involved creating multiple elements to put into a single family as you did. Do you think Revit will stop at making families at just kitchens? What happens when the 'ideal' net zero energy residential home becomes a family and all the different engineering design firms want to get ahold of that file because of the previous success it has had in terms of providing more energy than its creating. I also agree that the BIM aspect of this course will be the best take home part of this course but you shouldn't ignore the other aspects as they are extremely important. Being able to understand the future will only be able to put you in a better position to design buildings that will change the industry going forward.
Nick P - I also had a preconceived idea that this course was going to be about how to analyze case studies. This course covered a much wider spectrum than I had anticipated and I was extremely happy about that fact! I also agree that the greatest take away I can say from this course is the knowledge of databases that I'm leaving with. As I discussed in my blog post, I didn't know anything about databases and only the role they play in buildings. Now I am able to speak the lingo and know what I need when I go to a software engineer looking to design a database.
Maria R - I found the Revit part of this course necessary but not an extremely interesting part as it covered essentials in the industry and not particularly the innovated role it plays. Revit allows multiple disciplines to come together on the same model to create a building that doesn't exist in the real world yet. The power of putting a representation in a three dimensional software can be looked over in today's world as it has become common or part of 'the process' of completing the design process. However, thinking about the past and how engineers used to convey their ideas to clients is a mystery to today's young innovative individuals.
Brandon M - By being in your AE 391 design group, I have had the luxury of seeing your final project first hand and I loved it! While I think about each of my coops, I haven't used Revit in the facet that involved creating multiple elements to put into a single family as you did. Do you think Revit will stop at making families at just kitchens? What happens when the 'ideal' net zero energy residential home becomes a family and all the different engineering design firms want to get ahold of that file because of the previous success it has had in terms of providing more energy than its creating. I also agree that the BIM aspect of this course will be the best take home part of this course but you shouldn't ignore the other aspects as they are extremely important. Being able to understand the future will only be able to put you in a better position to design buildings that will change the industry going forward.
I agree that the database process was my least favorite at the beginning, but my favorite by the end. It left me with a lot of curiosity about the power of databases and how I can use them in my future career. I also agree that the blog posts were a huge part of this course. Being able to research something and then discuss it with our peers is so enjoyable and helpful to learn from each other.
ReplyDelete